BCT15X: Just ordered an BCT15-X...anyone have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7tke

I ordered the BCT15-X scanner. I am hearing it does not come with a manual. I have looked up things online on programming and it seems very involved. I am sure I will learn it in time. The more I program, the more I will understand. I am seeing it comes with a computer program interface. Is it easier to program through the computer or on the scanner itself? I would like to hear any pros and cons about this scanner as I plan on using it a lot. I had a trunking scanner before. It was a Radio Shack Pro 2053 which I paid about 400 dollars for way back when. I had good luck with that until it was stolen because someone liked it better than I did. I have conventional scanners up to 512MHz but want to listen to more of the trunked systems in my area. I've been reading about talk groups upper and lower frequencies and programming talk frequencies but not sure just how to do it yet. I expect to have the radio sometime next week. Really looking forward to programming and sharing information with people who have this scanner or others like it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you don't monitor any digital modes and only require analog it's an excellent scanner! The scanner's interface/cable has a DB9 female RS-232 serial cable that require a male DB9 serial port on your PC. However you can buy an optional USB/serial cable. Be sure to check the firmware version and update it if needed.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 15X is a fine analog only scanner- this means it will not cover any digital protocols like P25 or DMR. Happily it seems your area doesn't hardly have any of that....(links are always blue)

So where to start? It will be a learning curve, but the Easier to Read manual, along with the article below, will help you get started

The Easier to Read manuals are linked at the bottom

It will be easier to use software for these scanners. But first the cable- I would bet that your PC doesn't have serial ports (many newer ones don't), so you will need a USB-serial cable. Uniden's USB-1 will do this, but there are other distributors that have shown that they work too. See this article for more...

Now as for software - the original version of FreeScan will work just fine to get you started, It's freeware but sadly has been abandoned. It's user guide is also in our wiki, and the link for FreeScan is in the very first sentence...

Finally, Nevada specific questions should go here...

Good luck...Mike

bobby1947

Hi there I have recently bought a 15x via Amazon im in the Philippines, and if you look at the Philippines database theres only trunking frequencies, however using the search and store function it has found over 700 active frequencies with an average range of 80 km from my location using the antenna that comes with it ! The best user manual is avail from marks scanners.com . How i find channels is first set your custom search ranges in freescan ( setup scanner options), custom search, ie 1, 137.000 to 147.000, no 2 147.000 to 169.000 and so on, to 10 up load to the scanner, then go to menu and custom search pressing buttons 1.0 will turn on or off the custom banks ie for an example turn on 123 then go back to menu the searc for then select search and store then press the rotary button until it starts to scan, to stop the search and scan press menu, then using freescan click on scanner then download programming you will see a group called found, thats the easy part, if you have bought the scanner email me and i will help you as much as i can....Bob

merlin

Had my BCT15X about a year now. Bought it DOA for a song. After repairs, it works great.
Programming is a bit of learning curve, but not that complicated.
The original manual,,TOSS IT, it will only confuse you. Find Marks easier to read manual, it helps a lot.
Just a lot of things for functions and flexibility
This is an 'Analog Only' scanner. No digital at all. No trunking or tracking. That aside, it is the best scanner I have. surprisingly sensitive. tailor it to suit your listening preferences.
Connecting to computer, there is a DB9 serial port on the rear for that. There is also a USB port below the rotary knob on the front. This takes a unique plug. I use a cable made for this, but going that route, be sure to get a GOOD cable with the genuine FTDI chip. Don't get Chinese clones.
Software makes life easy. ProScan if it will run on your machine is best. Alternate is FreeScan.
Upload your current programming and save it. Now you can make up your own program and download to the scanner. systems>groups>channels etc. Easier to program than the front controls.
Remote control, likewise, easier than front controls.
Back to digital, I modded mine with the direct discriminator output for decoding stuff like navtext ACARS and such. I even have a DSP board robbed from a radio I thought of rigging to this for DMR,C4FM, D-star etc.
73s

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
No trunking or tracking.
Not true: it is a analog system "trunk-tracker"

• Motorola Type I
  • Motorola Type II
  • Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
  • Motorola Type II Smartnet
  • Motorola Type II Smartzone
  • Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
  • Motorola Type II VOC
  • EDACS Standard (Wide)
  • EDACS Standard Networked
  • EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
  • EDACS Narrowband Networked
  • EDACS SCAT
  • EDACS ESK (not ProVoice)
  • LTR Standard

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sorry Merlin but that tap you made isn't going to make much difference on ACARS decoding, as that is strictly AM, not FM. And Navtex is an HF and LW mode - ranges the 15X really doesn't cover very much. Mike

bobby1947

My bearcat is great i can just leave it on search and store and let it find the freqs for me albeit some with noise some just hissing but since using it ,it has found over 700 active freqs just using the extending antenna that came with it ! And with a range of 100 kms depending on the weather ! Most of which are in the 137.000-174.0000 band and the busiest is the 350.0000-470 .0000 bands and the 800 mhz band is also busy going to put up a outside antenna soon .

GROL

Have one. Great radio! One of the best I ever owned. It is mainly my Airband and Mil Air radio, as well as VHF Low, VHF High and UHF military land mobile. Great audio and sensitivity. Very good selectivity. I bought it mainly for Civilian and Mil Air and have never been disappointed. I don't recall any Birdie or internally generated interference in the Air bands or others, and no intermod issues even in RF crowded areas.

Be sure to check your local trunked systems. It does not do any digital. Analog trunking only. For a digital base/mobile unit, the BCD996P2 is similar and also as good RF performance wise. I have that one too. Definitely check out Mark's Scanner site and you can program both with FreeScan.

Program it with FreeScan and it's a piece of cake. FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.