R30 Just ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
After months of going back and forth between scanners and receivers, just placed my order with universal radio. Ordered the battery case for AA batteries and charging stand. Anything else I should be ordering to get the most out of this receiver? If I could have afforded the 8600, I would have. Not in the cards at this time. Thanks.

palmerjrusa

After months of going back and forth between scanners and receivers, just placed my order with universal radio. Ordered the battery case for AA batteries and charging stand. Anything else I should be ordering to get the most out of this receiver? If I could have afforded the 8600, I would have. Not in the cards at this time. Thanks.

The ic-r30 already comes supplied with the BC223 charging stand.
Get some decent sofware.

Enjoy, the r30 is a great little wideband receiver.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
So far am really impressed. Allot to learn. Now to figure out what out door antenna I want for this sweet receiver. HF and air band is what I want to use this receiver for. Been reading allot about antennas for both indoors and out doors in the antenna forum. Won’t be able to get an outdoor setup until spring so have time to do my research. If someone has a good suggestion on a indoor antenna, I’m all ears. If your on the fence about this receiver, get it!

CQ

So far am really impressed. Allot to learn. Now to figure out what out door antenna I want for this sweet receiver. HF and air band is what I want to use this receiver for. Been reading allot about antennas for both indoors and out doors in the antenna forum. Won’t be able to get an outdoor setup until spring so have time to do my research. If someone has a good suggestion on a indoor antenna, I’m all ears. If your on the fence about this receiver, get it!

Did they actually have the AA battery case in stock?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Made sure I ordered that for my backup power. $49.95. Now if someone made a case that has a slot for this or another regular battery, I’m in. Don’t care for fanny packs. Got a free one with Icom over the front, free.

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

Yes. Made sure I ordered that for my backup power. $49.95. Now if someone made a case that has a slot for this or another regular battery, I’m in. Don’t care for fanny packs. Got a free one with Icom over the front, free.

The nylon case I just received for my sds100 also fits my ic-r30 very well, it even works for the controls on each side. Additionally, there's a little room at the back so I'm assuming it would also fit with the optional battery case fitted (the official Icom case apparently doesn't fit when using the optional battery case) though since I don't own that case I don't know that for sure.

The last official Icom case I bought for one of their receivers was a flimsy plastic affair that soon got ripped and was $25.00, so I'm not going down that path again for my ic-r30.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the roll up in the house or outside? I need something to hold me over until spring. That ATAS-25 looks pretty good. May consider that for my camping days. Thanks for the info on that.

CQ

Universal Radio had stock when I called and ordered...wish they had an on-line real-time stock status. Calling to order anything via telephone is so last millennium.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber

Give us some idea of the environment you have for outdoor antennas if you would, such as apartment or condo, HOA restrictions, etc. Maybe some of us can help with antenna suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.