Just passed as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoarinRow

KN6JJS
My whole driver for taking my Technician license (KN6JAU) is so that I have a third communication method to contact friends / overland group members on trails. I already have a CB and a license for GMRS radio.

For my Ham devices I picked up a Baofeng BF-F8HP handheld and tomorrow I should be getting my TYT TH-7800 dual band radio for my rig. The more I dig into the different capabilities of the Ham, the more I like it. I told myself I wasn't going to get a Ham license, but I didn't want to study for it and then get into the hobby aspect of it. But you all are making it difficult for me to search Googling different aspects of Ham and making me watch countless hours of YouTube videos on Ham, Ham programming, Top 5 accessories, contests, home shacks, etc.

Well, thanks!

K4EET

Chaplain
RoarinRow, welcome to Radio Reference. And a BIG congratulations on getting your Ham Radio ticket! You are going to find a lot of things to do with your amateur radio license and I bet you are going to eventually want to upgrade to General Class for the extra privileges. Here at Radio Reference you will find a great bunch of folks and a wealth of information so don't hesitate to ask questions.

73, Dave K4EET

RoarinRow

KN6JJS
RoarinRow, welcome to Radio Reference. And a BIG congratulations on getting your Ham Radio ticket! You are going to find a lot of things to do with your amateur radio license and I bet you are going to eventually want to upgrade to General Class for the extra privileges. Here at Radio Reference you will find a great bunch of folks and a wealth of information so don't hesitate to ask questions.

73, Dave K4EET
Perfect, thanks Dave, appreciate the welcome! Yes as I am discovering day by day there are a lot of things to do and discover with Ham radio. I will keep searching and will keep getting my General license in mind. I'm sure I have enough for now the Technical arena to keep me busy lol.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, it's biting me hard lol.

Ha ha ha! And it will continue to until you're either dead or out of money, whichever comes first. :p

And the advice with going for your General or even Extra now, is spot on. You don't want to overwhelm yourself, but a lot of the material does carry over. I waited over 20 years between my Technician and General/Extra. The 13wpm just wasn't happening for me back in the day due to work, school, etc. and then life just got in the way.

Give yourself a month or two to enjoy the hobby, then hit the books. You'll be glad you did. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.