Just received my BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

About two years ago I had a similar experience as the OP. Not sure which scanner it was (GRE-800 ?), but I actually had seen the little chip and had handled it. Later, some type of problem caused me to open the scanner and check the little SD chip. The chip was now missing from its slot. It was nowhere to be seen, and I ended up using a new SD card.

Some days later (maybe weeks), I dropped some small item onto the carpet. While on my hands and knees searching the carpet, I found a little SD card. At first I didn't make the connection, but checking the contents of the card, I realized it was the missing scanner chip.

I proceeded to switch chips in the scanner and save one as a backup copy. While doing this, it happened again. This time the chip disappeared, right before my eyes, as I was actually inserting it into the scanner. I put two-and-two together and immediately started searching the carpet. After nearly a half hour, I found the little guy in the carpet about 7 feet away (horizontally) from the scanner position.

Wow! WTF? After some experimentation, I found that the chip could be sent flying up to ten feet away from the scanner. The culprit was some sort of a spring ejection system in the scanner SD slot.

This probably doesn't help the OP, but maybe it will help someone else in the future.

kb8rvp

I didn't think about that. I wonder if the SD card could have gotten pressed in so it was in the eject position and when it was unboxed it went flying or maybe when it was being boxed up at the factory the same think could have happened..

Hope you get it all worked out.

Mike

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I didn't think about that. I wonder if the SD card could have gotten pressed in so it was in the eject position and when it was unboxed it went flying or maybe when it was being boxed up at the factory the same think could have happened..

Hope you get it all worked out.

Mike

What I've found is that in order to eject a microSD card from its slot you need to really press it inwards quite a bit before the ejecting mechanism takes hold and "kicks out" the card. My fat fingers alone won't do the job, I normally use the edge of a credit card for this. I'm not convinced that this was done by accident, sounds like the card wasn't in when it was shipped. Hope all works out.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Yep instead I'm just going to switch it out for the bc436hp! Seems more useful for my duties!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
It clicks into place. No special straps or anything like that.

It's unlikely that it simply slipped out of place, as one must push it to release the card. After pushing in, it pops out a little, then you have to grasp it to fully remove it.

Just have to say that those little suckers are hard to grasp if you have 1) fat fingers, and 2) no fingernails. I keep a pair of tweezers on my desk in the event I can't get a good grip on the SD card.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.