Just received my BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
I rushed home from work, opened the box, turned it on, and guess what there is no micro sd card installed!!! This scanner is useless without one, which is quite surprising!
I'm so pissed right now! Has anybody else experienced this or know a way around using this scanner without a micro sd card!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 777
Last edited by a moderator:

wise871

Database Admin
Just run to Walmart and pick one up. Standard SanDisk will work just fine and I payed under $10 for a 16gb.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
So I would just put in the micro sd card and I would be good to go? Or would I have to download the whole database?

I purchased it from scannermaster!

Yep I checked every nook and cranny of the box, and no luck:(

Maybe this was a unit that was returned to them?

I know they have that generous 30 day return policy!

R

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it was a disappointment to say the least. I'd certainly call Scannermaster and make them aware of the issue.

Several folks with the 536's have replaced the micro SD cards with higher capacity cards (8, 16 or 32). That gives a higher capacity for things like recording (if you do that). So other than the aggravation of not getting a card, there might be a silver lining in this dark cloud.

You might want to look at the following website which gives you some instructions on what to do when you first receive your scanner:

BCD536HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

You would need to update the whole database, which is something you'd want to do even if a card came with your scanner.

Just to be sure the following works before I offered up any advice, here's what I just tried:

I had a spare micro SD card and re-formatted it so it would be blank. I used the SD Formatter Utility to do so.

After inserting the micro SD card into my 536, I got an error message about the card, which I fully expected because it was blank. The scanner said to use Sentinel to Clear User Data.

It took a couple of minutes for Sentinel to do the Clear User Data process, which resulted in the proper files being installed on the SD card.

I then wrote my Favorites Lists along with updating the master HP database to the scanner. Everything went fine and the scanner went chugging along.

Other than for getting off to a bad start, I hope you enjoy your new scanner!

N8IAA

Just run to Walmart and pick one up. Standard SanDisk will work just fine and I payed under $10 for a 16gb.

No, Dan. He needs to get a hold of Scannermaster and get the card from them. Why go and spend more money for something that is supposed to be installed in the scanner in the first place:confused:
Larry

bama9999

No, Dan. He needs to get a hold of Scannermaster and get the card from them. Why go and spend more money for something that is supposed to be installed in the scanner in the first place:confused:
Larry

I'm pretty sure that he meant do that in order to be able to go ahead and be using the scanner in the meantime. Yes, the OP needs to get in touch with Scannermaster and get it resolved, but it's a good idea to have a spare SD card for these radios, in case one gets corrupted.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
The problem is, I don't live next to any stores that sell micro sd cards!

I'm hoping scannermaster will overnight me a new scanner! I feel like this scanner was a returned item.

So if I was able to find a new micro sd card, how would I format? Which format, like fat32 or something like that?

Then I would put it into the bcd536hp and do what from there?

Thanks! Sorry I'm kind of new to this type of scanning. I have a homepatrol-1 but that seems easier to use!

phask

Premium Subscriber
Did you actually look and see none in the slot? It's possible that it's un-seated but in there.

bear780ks

That's what I was Thinking as Well Phask Looking at the Front were it Goes, it looked as it was in there..

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
what is the last 4 digits of the serial number of your unit?
did it have the 2-3 rows of plastic on the screen when you got it?

those may hint if it was new or a return etc

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
So if I was able to find a new micro sd card, how would I format? Which format, like fat32 or something like that?

Then I would put it into the bcd536hp and do what from there?

Use the Uniden recommended SD Formatter Utility to format the new card. (There should be a link posted to that somewhere in the Uniden threads.)

It is FAT32 file structure.

After formatting, insert the micro SD card into the 536. You'll see an error message saying to use Sentinel to Clear User Data.

Connect your scanner to your computer and open Sentinel. Use Sentinel to Clear the User Data. That's found under the Scanner tab. This process takes a few minutes and prepares this new SD card for use on your scanner.

Then write your Favorites Lists and update the master HP database to your scanner.

You should also try the Update firmware during this process to see if the scanner's firmware is up to date.

If the box for the scanner had a green dot, or there was a label on the scanner concerning warranty, that might indicate it was a re-worked scanner.

Based on an experience I had with Scannermaster, I don't think they'll overnight you a new scanner. They said the cost of overnight shipping wipes out their profit.

Your best hope is for them to send your a new card, or perhaps credit your credit card for the amount of a replacement SD card.

wise871

Database Admin
Larry

I agree and Scannermaster should take care of this matter. I'm just saying if he didn't want to wait for either a replacement radio or MicroSD then he had an option. But yes this needs to be resolved by SM.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Yes it had plastic over the front.

I spoke with scannermaster, and he said all scanners that get returned go back to uniden, so it is new.

My solution, is tomorrow I'll be driving by scanner master, so I'll just swing in and get a new scanner!

Thanks everybody

And there was definitely no sd card installed!

Not sure why my iPhone 5s does this with the pictures?!

Sorry...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 594
Last edited by a moderator:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It clicks into place. No special straps or anything like that.

It's unlikely that it simply slipped out of place, as one must push it to release the card. After pushing in, it pops out a little, then you have to grasp it to fully remove it.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
It clicks into place. No special straps or anything like that.

It's unlikely that it simply slipped out of place, as one must push it to release the card. After pushing in, it pops out a little, then you have to grasp it to fully remove it.

Ok, so this is one of those spring-loaded slots? That's what it sounds like. Those are really nice, but as you said it sounds like either the microSD card was never put in or someone took it out and didn't put it back.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that's what I was wondering too!
How could it just fall out!

I honestly think uniden forgot to install the micro sd card!

Status
Not open for further replies.