Just Received my new PSR-500!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaran

I live in Yorkton, Sk. & just picked up my new PSR-500. I have been a scanner user for 30 plus years & have programmed all types of scanners in those years. I had no issues with programming my 2 Trunk Trackers a few years back, but this new digital scanner has me totally baffled. I am anxious to get back to listening to the local RCMP, & from what I've read on this forum, it is possible. I have searched for, & downloaded any of the sites that provide "easier" instructions for this radio but still not having any luck getting up & running.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (sorry for being such a newbie!)

Thanks in advance....

pbaran@sasktel.net

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Hi Peter I'm an oldtimer like you. Saw you last at the airport at the G8 in Calgary. I bought the same GRC radio and returned it for two reasons. One it baffled me and two it was not as sensitive as my Uniden 996T. It is however one of the radios you need for Saskatchewan RCMP unless you spring for a BC396XT which will give you the P25, ESK and unit identifiers. I still find Uniden easier for me to use than the GRE but not by much. Now that I spent some time with both programming software and manual programming I'm getting more used to my 996 and 396. I will consider the XT models in the future as the Consumer Electronics Show did not feature any great units by either GRE or Uniden.

I would start by just manually programming your Yorkton cell and then just search for Id's once you get it running. It took me all last week to program a fairly simple P25 trunked system here and I had to try various changes both manaully and with the software.

There are many knowlegable people on this site that should be able to guide you the process with your scanner and have it up on the new system soon.

Harry

mobile1

Hi to pbaran in Yorkton. You should download Win500 and use it to program your PSR500. We have another member in Yorkton with a PSR500 who maybe able to help you out too,Bluedmax.

safetyobc

I use ARC500 and love it. Highly recommend that software and a premium subscription to this site and use the data import. Very much worth it!

colby4601

Welcome to the site pbaran! As the others have suggested, download software and purchase a premium subscription to the site. It is well worth it. The Yorkton talkgroup has a fair amount of traffic on it with Yorkton City and Rural Detachments and Melville Detachment. I would suggest sending Bluedmax a Private Message as he also lives in Yorkton and could probably help you out.

Best of luck!
Colby

Status
Not open for further replies.