Just renewed my ham license online yesterday. If the FCC going to send me an official copy in the mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTS3000

Click click, answer a few questions and my license was renewed for free. I get the following email from the FCC ULS:

“This email is to notify you of the recent grant of your application(s). The Commission currently provides access to the official version of your electronic licenses through License Manager in the Universal Licensing System (ULS) or by email. The official version of your recently granted license can be accessed using the link below. Please note that this link will connect you to the most current version of your license. If you use this link at a future date, any changes made after the receipt date of this email will be reflected on the authorization. This link will remain active for 30 days.

Authorization Link”

I click the link and it shows a “Official Copy” of my renewed (Station license and wallet). Is this my renewed license and I have to print it out or will the FCC send out a real FCC license printed on security paper like my 2 other renewals?
Thanks fellow ham operators for clarification.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Click click, answer a few questions and my license was renewed for free. I get the following email from the FCC ULS:

“This email is to notify you of the recent grant of your application(s). The Commission currently provides access to the official version of your electronic licenses through License Manager in the Universal Licensing System (ULS) or by email. The official version of your recently granted license can be accessed using the link below. Please note that this link will connect you to the most current version of your license. If you use this link at a future date, any changes made after the receipt date of this email will be reflected on the authorization. This link will remain active for 30 days.

Authorization Link”

I click the link and it shows a “Official Copy” of my renewed (Station license and wallet). Is this my renewed license and I have to print it out or will the FCC send out a real FCC license printed on security paper like my 2 other renewals?

I do not believe you will receive any printed copy via postal mail. You need to download / print it out.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is this my renewed license and I have to print it out or will the FCC send out a real FCC license printed on security paper like my 2 other renewals?

Per Public Notice DA 15-72, the FCC no longer mails license authorizations. If you provide an email address on your application, a link to print your official copy of your license will be automatically emailed to you when the application has granted.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
No printed copies, just an "official" copy through downloading. Have to keep all of the new fees and reduce expenses. Eliminating one pork barrel project would probably cover all costs for amatuer radio.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"On December 30, 2020, the FCC Wireless Services ceased the printing of paper licenses."

XTS3000

Wow, thanks for the feedback so soon.

What I worry about is if I get pulled over and the police want to see my license, and I hand them the printed copy, they would laugh first, then cuff and stuff me for presenting a fake federal document.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Wow, thanks for the feedback so soon.

What I worry about is if I get pulled over and the police want to see my license, and I hand them the printed copy, they would laugh first, then cuff and stuff me for presenting a fake federal document.
Highly unlikely since there are lookup apps like QRZ’s Call Search which can instantly verify a ham ticket. You’re inventing a non-existent problem. Print your license double sided, cut out the wallet card, and relax.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
LOL You expect a cop hellbent on saying your docs are fake or accusing you of suspicions, to argue on the side of the road searching a database they know nothing about that you just told them. It's possible you get a sympethic officer on your side and I can appreciate you guys having confidence in officers taking your word for it but, thats something they often hear from many "criminals" they ticket and arrest. Just be like me. After they say they don't care whatever license you have and write the ticket and take your stuff. You go to court, present your documents, the case gets closed and your confiscated equipment returned with a gee sorry it happened.

My best advice? Don't get pulled over. Don't do anything to attract the attention of LEO's, use your turn signals well before its required by state law and always stop at reds or stop signs. As well, don't drive in stupid areas where you may get pulled over for being suspicious, be it the area or the time of night

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

danesgs

If I worried about cops pulling me over for antennas on my car, I would have been busted 100 times. They don't want to see your license for talking they want to know why you have so many antennas more than them and who you are talking to. I had a checkpoint cop ask me why so many antennas and I told him "different bands" He was good with that answer.

100_0416.JPG

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Get involved with a local law agency involved with storm spotting and disaster response. One of the sheriff emergency management groups I belonged to gave us monthly training that included official id cards along with incident command, disaster assessment, and other official certification classes.

wired3m

If I worried about cops pulling me over for antennas on my car, I would have been busted 100 times. They don't want to see your license for talking they want to know why you have so many antennas more than them and who you are talking to. I had a checkpoint cop ask me why so many antennas and I told him "different bands" He was good with that answer.

View attachment 107612
and some of us still wonder why PD & FD encrypt

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP's question was about how to get a paper copy of his license, and that question has been answered, I think we are done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.