Just spent money on SDS100 scanner for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajun945

I just bought SDS100 scanner.....to Primary listen only to Douglas County Sheriff and Parker Police and was told it’s encrypted?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just bought SDS100 scanner.....to Primary listen only to Douglas County Sheriff and Parker Police and was told it’s encrypted?
It's listed that way in the database. Click this link and scroll down to the Douglas and Parker headings. Anything listed below the headings with a Capital "E" in the "MODE" column is fully encrypted, which no scanner can monitor:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I’m sending it back.. really upset about it 🙁
I understand how you feel, quite a few of us do. That's a lot of money, I was going to recommend the same thing until I saw iMONITOR's post.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The local law enforcement agency for 4 out of every 5 people in Colorado are encrypted. If you live in a fairly populous area and do not see a online feed for the area, then there is a very good chance they are encrypted.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I’m sending it back.. really upset about it 🙁
You have no interest in monitoring traffic in the clear on the system at all? (Designated as mode "D") Why let encryption of a few agencies make or break your decision to hold onto a scanner? I sure didn't when my county's LE (and some of the other counties surrounding me switched on the "big E") There's bound to be more out there to listen to. Fire ops are reported to be in the clear in your county. Sometimes one just has to tune around and hear what's out there then expand their listening horizons

Last edited:

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Breaking news.....Douglas County has been encrypted since they lost a deputy.....it's been way over a year now......Knowledge is power........There is still a lot out there to monitor ;)

USASA

Hi All.

Can the MAC channels be monitored with a D-130J antenna or does it require a different type antenna? I have never even attempted to monitor MAC channels. What are the Freq. of the active channels?

Al
USASA

radio

Premium Subscriber
MAC channels are on the DTRS system. The tricky part is if you in the SIMULCAST area, you will need an SDS 100 or 200 or a Yagi antenna for the older radios.

Also make sure of where you are and where the incident so will be on the correct Zone.

MAC channels info found in the Colorado Mutual Aid Talk groups, TGs 4000-4020.

Refer the Wiki for further on MAC usage State of Colorado DTRS - The RadioReference Wiki

Yesterday MAC 11, TG 4010, on Zone 4 Colorado Springs SIMULCAST and Cheyenne Mt Zone 6 was used during the Wildland fire on the Interstate at the El Paso and Pueblo county line, Milepost 116. El Paso South Group, (Fountain, Hanover, Security, Stratmoor Hills and Ft Carson) with Pueblo West fire units.

Sure, it is unfortunate that more law enforcement encryption is happening, but there is so much other action in other agencies to listen.

USASA

Thank you Radio.

I will add the MAC channels into the radio.

Does anyone have the listing of the call signs of the different agency's that Elpaso County Sheriffs dept. dispatch for? They have added some since I got a listing many years ago.

Thanks much

Al
USASA

radio

Premium Subscriber

El Paso County (CO) Data - The RadioReference Wiki

Here are the links for the Wiki info in El Paso.

I am not sure if EPSO info is correct as I live in Colorado Springs and don't listen to much of the EPSO unless there is a major incident I hear on the Fire side then I will turn the SO on.

5280Fire - 5280Fire is another outstanding site for the Fire Departments in the state.

Speaking of the El Paso Fire, the wiki needs to edit its list:
*1600 Woodmen Valley was put taken over by the Colorado Springs Fire years ago. The building remains but there is no units in service.
*1900 series are used by Fort Carson Fire units now
*2100 series are used by the Air Force Academy Fire units
*2200 series are used by the Tri Lakes-Monument-Woodmoor Fire units
*1700 Simla Fire units from Elbert County are 2xx units. Not sure which. Refer to 5280 fire for that information. When they come into El Paso, they are NOT 1700s.

Colorado Springs Fire units go on the air by their same radio unit designation when they respond into the county on El Paso Red and the C-zones

Enjoy your listening Al.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.