Just Started My Feed PD Said Shut It Down Or Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanhopkins

My entire are in west Ky is going encrypted they say cause of the live feeds. I setup a feed of Hopkins County and I got a msg turn off the feed or will go encrypted. I have come to see this site is destroying our hobby

My entire are in west Ky is going encrypted they say cause of the live feeds. I setup a feed of Hopkins County and I got a msg turn off the feed or will go encrypted. I have come to see this site is destroying our hobby

What site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diskmonger

Of course it is. I never understood why people freely stream their scanner traffic so the lazy people who don't want to invest in the hobby can just have it for free.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Could you post that message from the PD?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

It's not that easy to go encrypted. It's very costly, might even require a totally new system. Encryption can introduce performance/reliability issues. That would require approvals, budgets, etc.

"I setup a feed of Hopkins County and I got a msg turn off the feed or will go encrypted."

A message? What kind of message, and from whom? Something like that would normally come in a form of a registered letter, signed by the Mayor, or at least the police chief.

They aren't going encrypted. They would need FCC approval as well as it is very costly, takes time, and drains radio battery like you would never beleive

RFI-EMI-GUY

It's not that easy to go encrypted. It's very costly, might even require a totally new system. Encryption can introduce performance/reliability issues. That would require approvals, budgets, etc.

"I setup a feed of Hopkins County and I got a msg turn off the feed or will go encrypted."

A message? What kind of message, and from whom? Something like that would normally come in a form of a registered letter, signed by the Mayor, or at least the police chief.
If they are already a P25 system, going encrypted is not a huge expenditure. There will be a bunch of system management and key management complications, especially where mutual aid is involved.

That said, unless the OP got a certified letter from the Police Chief or City Attorney, it sounds like scare tactics.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They aren't going encrypted. They would need FCC approval as well as it is very costly, takes time, and drains radio battery like you would never beleive

No, they would not need FCC approval to use encryption.

I'd proceed carefully. Make sure you know exactly who the message came from.
I agree with the others, unless it comes on letter head from the city/county/agency, it would be suspect.
If it's all legit, they are trying to get you to back down without putting a lot of work into it. If they were really on the verge of going encrypted, they'd just do it anyway.

If they do back you into a corner, take the feed down, say thank you and go on listening on your own.

Xray

So, live feeds are destroying this hobby, so your response is to set up a live feed ?
I must be missing something.

paulmohr

I

I highly doubt they are going to go to the trouble of going to encryption just because one guy has a feed of one area on the internet. Like was said, if they were going to do it, it was something that has been in the works for quite some time. It is hard enough for most agencies to get basic funding for essential items. Something like this would take some effort and time to get approved I would think. And then it probably wouldn't be the whole system, just certain channels that they feel they need to protect.

As for live feeds ruining the hobby and people getting to hear it for free without the cost and work, well that I don't think that is the case at all. Had it not been for broadcastify, which by the way is built in to most any new home theater receiver I and many others would not have bothered to buy a scanner. In this day and age how do you think people get exposed to it? I assure you it isn't from watching grandpa with his 8 channel crystal scanner anymore. It is most likely from the internet or a phone app.

So if it were not for someone in my area taking the time and effort to stream a local feed so I could hear what kind of traffic was in my area I would have never spent 400 bucks on a scanner just to "see what would happen". So to whoever runs the stream for Adrian MI, thank you very much.

The feeds also let me listen to area I can't hear locally. I have lived all over the United States and sometimes it is interesting to listen to those areas, like chicago or southern california. Heck, even Detroit since I am 40 some miles away from it and can't pick it up on my scanner.

If anything I think it is helping grow the hobby and I personally appreciate the hard work and resources that go into keeping this site up and running. As well as the people providing the feeds.

And if it were not for these forums I bet a lot of people that did buy scanners would have ended up selling them, or losing interest in a few weeks because they couldn't figure something out.

My opinions on the matter anyway.

Might want to take a look at this sticky as well.
https://forums.radioreference.com/b...ncryption-audio-streaming-will-now-cease.html

** I deleted my first paragraph because after doing some research I was mistaken about RR's stance on removing feeds at the PD's request.**

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber

FCC doesn't care if an agency switches to encryption, much less approvals.

Encryption has a minimal effect on battery life. Stop spreading misinformation.

paulears

Encryption is just maths, it takes no effort to add a bit of maths into the data stream. I also must say I'm surprised that your system over there is so silly as to make such radical changes to a costly radio system because somebody streams their contact. The fault, if it is one, is transmitting in the clear when anyone can legally listen in. If they wish to stop this for operational reasons, then digital is the way, but here, budgets, funding sources and systems management mean that shifts of this kind are 3 year+ projects, and no Police service would spend this money just to stop streaming. Here in the UK, streaming of airband is not allowed, and doing it gets a request to the internet service provider to simply pull the plug. Our emergency services have been encrypted for a long time now, and Police, Fire and Ambulance traffic is not available to the public, let alone streaming it. Seems to me, your system of openness so protected will simply go whenever a new system is installed, and somebody ticks the check box - encryption.

To be honest, with current issues, I'm surprised this hasn't been accelerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.