just starting, need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
i have been using scanners for years, but i have just purchased a sony 7600 radio, i live in nor cal and was wondering what would be my best option for a outdoor antenna, i have read the forums but am still unsure where to start, also does the external antenna only affect sw, or does it help the mw and lw too? any info is greatly appreciated

SCPD

QRT
For a simple, cheap and easy-to-build antenna... go to Radio Shack and pick up:

50-Ft. 24-Gauge Clear 2-Conductor Speaker Wire - RadioShack.com

Pull the strands apart -- this will get you 100ft -- in (2) 50ft lengths. Try just 50ft at first.

Buy some simple hookup wire:

50-Ft. Blue Insulated Wrapping Wire (30AWG) - RadioShack.com

(Keep this as short as possible)

A 1/8" mono plug:

1/8” Mono Phone Plug (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com

1. String up the 50ft speaker wire (ideally, at least 30ft above ground, as flat as possible)
2. Attach hookup wire to one end of wire, run this wire to your room, etc
3. Attach other end of hookup wire to center conductor of 1/8 plug. Solder if possible. You can actually hook it up without soldering but it'll be better if you can solder it.

This will get you good reception with this portable. If the signals are not overloaded then you can try adding the other 100ft of speaker wire -- but this could overload your radio.

I would just go with 50ft for now.

PS. You can be creative in how you string up the speaker wire. Try different angles, locations to see what works best. The higher the better. The farther away from the house the better.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
+1 on Nick's advice, particularly since you're on the West Coast, where sigs tend to be a little harder to hear, since not a lot of major broadcasters beam that way...

And while it will have some effect on MW and LW, for reasons that are a bit too tech right now, it will likely be less noticeable than the change on SW.

As we're starting to get into the T-Storm season, be very sure to disconnect this antenna when these occur in your area. Also be very careful about static discharges, as this can do serious damage to the radio

best regards..Mike

SCPD

QRT
thanks, i understand the whole static/thunderstorm issue, i am a electrician, soldering is no problem, so when i run the 50 footer, can it run along the top of house, or does it need to be suspend free air style of the roof

SCPD

QRT
Ideally, you'd want to get it away from the house. If for some reason you need to run it along the house you can certainly try that -- any antenna is better than no antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.