Just starting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumeda33

Hi everybody,
I am brand new to this stuff but would like to learn. I need somewhere to begin. My wife bought me a Uniden BC92XLT Nascar scanner because she new I was wanting to get into this. The thing is, she bought it for me about a year or two ago and sat in a desk until now. Will I be able to get anything with it? Is it a good enough scanner for now? I seem to read about scanners that have different technologies so they can handle different things. Please help me get going so one day I can sound like I know what I am talking about.
Thanks in advance to everybody.
David

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi David and welcome - we have a series of articles in our online wiki that you should find interesting, and they will begin to introduce you to the scanning world. Anyone may read the wiki, and note that anything in blue is a link of some kind.

Go up to the right blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki then click on Wiki Home On the top right, there's a purple (OK I admit it I'm a Ravens fan - my doctor works for them so it's unavoidable, hi) box labeled Links for Newcomers. Read through these - Scanning 101, Scanning Q&A and our Glossary to start.

Now as to Palm Beach County, here is our database entry for that area - don't worry if you don't understand it all just yet, just bookmark these for future reference

Palm Beach County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

and here is our wiki on your county...

Palm Beach County Florida - the RR Wiki

In the frequency lists, if you float your mouse over the top of a column you should get a little balloon with a brief explanation of the abbreviations used there. Use the Glossary to look up terms you don't quite get (see why I had you read that first?), or c'mon back and ask.

Keep in mind we also have an active Florida forum - questions about your local systems should be addressed there.

And look here - there appears to be a pretty active Yahoo scanning group for your area...

SEFLORIDA : SCANNER info for SE FLORIDA

That should be enough reading for at least one or two tecates (chuckle)

HTH...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.