Just thinking of getting a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8FSB

Hi, I live in Cuyahoga County Ohio and I'm thinking about getting a TRX-1. I have a few general questions and wonder if anyone can advise me.

1. Does anybody with a TRX-1 currently have issues using Windows 10 for programming and/or updating firmware? I have read that there may been issues in the past.
2. Other than police and fire, what else can be montitored on a scanner like the TRX-1?
3. There is so much jargon in some of the threads that a newbie might be confused. Can anyone reccomend a good book or website about modern scanners?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
1. Does anybody with a TRX-1 currently have issues using Windows 10 for programming and/or updating firmware? I have read that there may been issues in the past.
I've been using my TRX-1 on Win 10 for over four years without issue, I did have an issue with upgrades early on but used the free updater from Whistler's download page and had no problem.

2. Other than police and fire, what else can be montitored on a scanner like the TRX-1?
Military, civilian and military aircraft, local businesses and local government, ham radio operators, NASCAR if you are a race fan and a lot more. If they use a radio you might be able to hear it (except for encryption)

3. There is so much jargon in some of the threads that a newbie might be confused. Can anyone reccomend a good book or website about modern scanners?
You will not find a better site than Radio Reference for help, there are Wiki pages from the simple starter page to advanced subjects. Also there are a lot of helpful people on here, seldomly does a legitimate question go unanswered. If you need a simple explaination to a question, just say so in the original post and for the most part that's what you get. Ohio also has many active scanner users.

pgates

Hi, I live in Cuyahoga County Ohio and I'm thinking about getting a TRX-1. I have a few general questions and wonder if anyone can advise me.

1)I have used Windows 7 and Windows 10 to run the EasyShare software with my TRX-2. No problems with that. The USB interface for the radio is dreadfully slow so I usually use an SD card reader to change my programming. Firmware updates have gone well for me.
2) You can monitor a wide variety of radio services with such a flexible and configurable receiver. Police, fire, EMS, public works, business communications, amateur radio, family radio services, aircraft, railroad and other transportation services. Gosh, it goes on and on.
3) I don't have a ready answer for this.

Swipesy

KC8FSB, Being a resident of the area you live in I can give you some real world advice. Cuyahoga County gives you a tremendous amount of radio to listen to. You have the State of Ohio MARCS P-25 System, The Cleveland GCRCN P-25 System, the Parma Harris P-25 System, numerous conventional and DMR traffic. I record over 1 million hits a year from these systems. So what to listen to is not the issue. What to listen with is an issue. I personally use a GRE-PSR-500 , a Whistler 1080 and a Uniden BC125AT. I happen to be in a sweet spot for home listening and get zero simulcast distortion. However when going mobile reception gets dicey. Areas like Berea, Olmsted Falls make the 500 and 1080 go practically deaf. Around I-480 and Jennings Freeway the Parma System can be deaf. So location, location, location is the result with Whistler/GRE products. So if you want to be 100% sure you will hear what you want to hear then spend the money for a Uniden SDS100 or 200. I have friends that use both the TRX-1 and the Uniden models. Sure fire - Uniden SDS, not so sure Whistler.

Hope this helps.

budevans

I have TRX-1. I don't have any issues or problems programming my scanner with Windows 10 Pro. Typically the most common report of issues comes from new users who aren't familiar with the various types of systems. Conventional, Trunk, Analog, Digital and so on.

You've already mentioned Public Safety. Add Aircraft, Trains, Businesses, CB some VHF/UHF Ham freq's and some Government Agency's.

Sure, you are currently logged into the best source of information. Radio Reference.

KC8FSB

I want to say thank you to those who took the time to answer my post. Lots of good advice and comments.
I appreciate it.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 TRX-1s a TRX-2 and a WS 1098 which all work well for me in Parma.
I do have a little simulcast issue with my 1098 in my bedroom only.(Ohio Marcs and Greater Cleveland)
What I do is put on my stubby antenna and that takes care of it.
I use the software on a Win 10 machine just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.