Just to brag..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to see if any other shacks have it for this price around here I'll pm yall if I find another and you're interested in one.. not trying to turn this into a BST thread though. But I'm really enjoying the 996xt it's pretty cool. The antenna kinda sucks though, the cheap metal already broke.

Haha yeah that is true. I have a telescopic one from the shack on my hand held that works well, I'll just find a bnc angle connector.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
I just got one for 223. with pic

Guys I don't know what to say on the 99. deal- but I really did buy one (it was a return, but appears new in box? no opened plastic, looks unused perhaps a gift that was unwanted?) for 232. at my local Frys Electronics 3035 W Thunderbird Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85029.

They also had the handheld version digital for 189.!!! I posted that deal in the Arizona forum, hope someone here got it. To my amazement, that handheld sat in the store with the clearance price clearly marked behind their glass display for over one week that I know of. My husband asked the sales guy on the floor if that was the REAL price, did they make a mistake? Nope real price- husband said are you SURE because these typically run around 500. or so. Sales guy "really? Hm." anyway- husband said he said I'll buy it now. Sales guy "you wanna buy it? " Husband "yes, thats what I just said. I'd like to take this radio" Sales guy "so are you taking it now?" for real- sales guy not joking- lol what did he think my husband was gonna do? Say No thanks I'll just walk out of your store without paying- or maybe I will pay now and pick it up next month. Weird!

anyway so I have a new digital scanner for 232. I posted the address above. I suspect Frys may be getting out of the HF radio biz or were sick n tired of newbs buying digital scanners then returning them because they can't figure out how to program them. Just my opinion.

I don't know how to program it either (yet) signed up with RR premium subscr. and got FreeScan. Already loaded Freescan etc thought my SDR serial USB I already had would work no because its still serial on one end dURrr.

Anyway it is an amazing receiver and I am really excited with this scanner. Even without programming it yet it is really fun to mess around with. I still have to learn all about it and am unfamiliar with all the scanner terms and what it can do.

I am rather suspect of the radio shack 99 bux deal but who knows eh/ kind of ODD this is 2nd time hearing of this "mystery bargain".

Edit it was 223. not 232. Here is picture with receipt etc.

Attachments

• ScannerBCD99xtSale (1024x768).jpg
    ScannerBCD99xtSale (1024x768).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

JamesO

$232 is still a good price, but we have confirmation that some Radio Shack that have the 996XT are letting them out the door for $99 in some markets.

But sounds like you did get some good deals overall.

What some do not realize that having more than one scanner is good. Many times you program a scanner for just a few local talk groups and also hold on a talk group. The more channels/TGID you scan, the more you are likely to miss the actions. This is why dividing the tasks up between scanners is a good thing.

I had 3 scanners going the other night around midnight on Sat as some stupid kids set off 2 plastic soda bottle bombs in the local 16 theater movie complex at one of the larger shopping malls in the country. Over 2000 people evacuated from the theaters, food court and restaurants. Bottle bombs explode in Tysons movie theater

Started out with possible shots fired, then once they realized it was plastic bottles things slowed down a bit. Luckily nobody was hurt. Kind of interesting as I usually keep at least one scanner going in the background and I heard this unfold from the initial dispatch.

I had one scanner scanner holding on Dispatch, one on Tactical and other 3rd scanner looking for other traffic. Had a recorder hooked up to my 396XT, my 436HP was recording and the 996XT was looking for things I was missing.

Made for an interesting evening to say the least.

radchuck03

Premium Subscriber
BC 996

I agree with James, this had to of been some kind of mistake. There is no way in the world a scanner of this type should have gone for this kind of price. This was a top-of-the-line scanner. RadioShack would have been taking a big loss at a price of only $99. Somebody in regional or local pricing screwed up big-time! I'm thinking the price markdown was intended for a different type it scanner, that was a low end scanner. I'm thinking RadioShack discovered the problem, and quickly changed it to the correct discounted price to avoid embarrassment and further loss on this type of product.

anyway so I have a new digital scanner for 232. I posted the address above. I suspect Frys may be getting out of the HF radio biz or were sick n tired of newbs buying digital scanners then returning them because they can't figure out how to program them. Just my opinion.

Yeah the frys here doesn't even carry digital scanners. I went there to get some stuff for the cb in my Baja bug and they had mostly shortwave and aircraft band stuff. Hardly any of the radio gear they used to carry, kinda depressing cuz now if radio shack doesn't have what I need I have to go to ham radio outlet on SD or order it online

hitechRadio

Nice score on the scanner, (someone screwed up) at RS. And even better was JamesO calling you out, and you posting pictures, to prove him WRONG. ROFL.

JamesO

Nice score on the scanner, (someone screwed up) at RS. And even better was JamesO calling you out, and you posting pictures, to prove him WRONG. ROFL.

hitech, take your WRONG and shove it!

After a number of people with a post count of exatly "1" stating they had purchased a $450 product give or take a few dollars for $99, I simply called Troll/BS on this UNLESS someone could provide proof as well as tell us what city and state they were finding these mythical deals.

I was not trying to rain on anyone's parade, all I wanted to see was PROOF. I think this is not to be unexpected when something appears to be too good to be true.

I had done my due diligence with my local Radio Shacks as I have chased close out items for over 10 years, working with local Radio Shack manager and even transferring items in from stores both inside and outside District boundaries. When I started to hear about these steals, I took my time to look into them as well. The Radio Shack SKU for the scanner was not readily available in the Radio Shack database by a simple search, once the SKU was located, we searched all stores in the District and there were only a very few scanners in far out stores and as I recall the price was $399.97 if I heard the figure correctly. This may be where the issue came up where someone likely left the leading 3 off the entry when putting the item on clearance? $70 off would be about the correct number if I had to guess.

So there is no right or wrong here, just a request for proof.

I am glad to hear a few folks have found some unexpected bargains and I do appreciate sergentslaughter for actually posting proof here as others have failed to provide solid proof so far.

It just seemed a bit suspicious that when a number of brand new members in their very first post on a forum talk/brag about purchasing a product for a VERY unexpected price.

So I guess I am WRONG?

hitechRadio

I Would have called BS too. But you beat me to it. Lol
Look at it from my perspective. It was kinda of funny Lol. Didn't mean to upset ya. Relax its just an online forum.

JamesO

I Would have called BS too. But you beat me to it. Lol
Look at it from my perspective. It was kinda of funny Lol. Didn't mean to upset ya. Relax its just an online forum.[/QUOTE

No problem.

It just drives me nuts, not specifically this forum, but I frequency MANY that deal with radio, cars, networking and other subjects and I see ALL the time posts without DETAILS.

Maybe it is simple oversight, but depending on what you are dealing with DETAILS can really help understand what the issue is without the 20 question game and dragging a thread on and on.

I just wish I could score a few 996XT for $99, I would be all over them. I have tried, looked and search and nothing in my area.

gambill1

Nothing like that at my 2 local stores either. allthough they did try to sell me some batteries.

Just went to the other local radio shack and they had it... but some old dude picked it up right before I did. Looks like I'm going radio shack hunting tomorrow

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Yeah the frys here doesn't even carry digital scanners. I went there to get some stuff for the cb in my Baja bug and they had mostly shortwave and aircraft band stuff. Hardly any of the radio gear they used to carry, kinda depressing cuz now if radio shack doesn't have what I need I have to go to ham radio outlet on SD or order it online

See, now that gets me to thinking that Fry's is quitting their radio inventory. The only SW receivers they carry at ours are the Grundig 750, the Field Radio and the tiny G6 of which I do not think are good radios (I have all 3 and they were lemons)

I have been to the original San Jose Fry's yrs ago and they seemed to have more of a selection back then including a Sangean I picked up.

Say I don't blame all of you for calling BS on the RS 99 dollar deal it sure sounded like a fake out. Like I said, my husband told the Fry's guy that they were making a mistake at that 223 price tag- but if its the honest price we picked it up.

I COULD have picked up the hand held at 189. also- even "flipped" it as some people do but it is against my personal feelings to do such a thing. I figure leave it for someone else like me who has literally been wishing for a digital scanner for years and years.

I wonder if it is STILL there- FYI when we picked up the mobile 996xt the hand held had been there for over 2 weeks actually. It was not hidden either and the price plainly marked.

LiquidPandora

That is significantly below the part cost, much less the cost to assemble, package, and ship.

Great Opportunity to talk price hu..... Problem is he proved it.. you do the same !!!! I'm saying that you want us to feel that Uniden paid a close to what they are selling it for... if your going to get on there and start talking Cost and how it was so much more considering they cost 600 Bucks.. SHow us the Cost per Unit and Profit per unit

OH LOOK Scannermannerer is upset !...

Last edited:

JamesO

It is the correct, although retired in store stock/item number. Just search the 396XT this is 1 digit off of the 396XT.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.