Just to brag..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into the local Radiosmack today to get a serial to usb cable to program my BC396XT and got a pretty sweet deal. The guy pointed to a table and I was like nah I'm looking for something else, so I got what I wanted and the table stayed in mind because something just caught my eye and didn't seem right. Well I walked over there and looked, looked again and quickly snatched a box.. it was a uniden BC996XT for 90 bucks!
Moral of the story? Go to radio shack often!

On a side note, is it possible to clone the two radios?

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Went into the local Radiosmack today to get a serial to usb cable to program my BC396XT and got a pretty sweet deal. The guy pointed to a table and I was like nah I'm looking for something else, so I got what I wanted and the table stayed in mind because something just caught my eye and didn't seem right. Well I walked over there and looked, looked again and quickly snatched a box.. it was a uniden BC996XT for 90 bucks!

Radio Shack is a good place to shop. You can get some good electronics there, and on some of their products - like handheld radio scanners , there prices are not to shabby for store bought material.

I read some of the threads here on this site, and I see complaint after complaint about Radio Shack.

I like most.....not all, but most of their products. They have greatly improved over the last ten or fifteen years.

I can remember when you could buy cheap watches ( push the side button and the time read out in red halogen lights ) , bad cables , AM/FM radios that lasted six months.

"Radio Shack. A Tandy Corporation". I can remember when. :)

FF - Medic !!!

JamesO

So this is AGAIN another report from "new" member of a $90 Uniden 996XT from Radio Shack.This is your absolute first post and this is what you bring?? I think you need to do better.

This is really simple for me to say at this point, I call BS/Troll on this until you do the following.

1. Tell us what city and state you purchased the scanner for $90. Details that were clearly left out of the first post.

2. Copy the receipt and post a picture here for all of us to see. This receipt should also include the 6-7 digit Radio Shack item number as there is not an in store item number associated with the the 996XT for some time, this item has only be direct order for quite a while

I have checked into this in my area and the Uniden 996XT at Radio Shack is as I recall $349.97, yes somewhat discounted, however, not $99 deal. Additionally there are VERY few Uniden 996XT in inventory in the Radio Shack District that I live and NON in the immediate metropolitan area. We also had a really hard time locating the in store item number for this product as it had been purged from the Radio Shack search database.

So either this is a very regionalized clearance or this does not exist without PROOF and DETAILS.

Radio Shack does in fact have clearance and discontinued items and a clearance table in many stores, so this can and does happen to products. I have purchased many reduced priced items from the stores over the years, I have even purchased some things for $0.01 or even had store managers give me items at no cost because the item was no longer in the inventory system and there was no longer a price associated with the item.

Tell you what, I'll take a pic of me with the box that still has the clearance tag on it since I don't think I kept the receipt

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Great deal! $100...nice.

RadioShack is out of stock online. I just checked looking for that close out deal.

LiquidPandora

And they still made a profit! Count on that!..

Me and the box
The tag
The box
Ye old radio stack

I got it from the radio shack on s. Escondido Blvd here in Escondido

SO NOW YOU LOOK AT YOU 536 and you say to yourself... So I paid 600 bucks for a scanner that most likely only cost 50 Bucks or so each to make... Like I said.. There is no law about making a Profit but there should be one for how much that just goes to show you we are all Ripped off!... Go take one of them pills that is marked up 10.000 % :roll:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
SO NOW YOU LOOK AT YOU 536 and you say to yourself... So I paid 600 bucks for a scanner that most likely only cost 50 Bucks or so each to make... Like I said.. There is no law about making a Profit but there should be one for how much that just goes to show you we are all Ripped off!... Go take one of them pills that is marked up 10.000 % :roll:

You don't really think Uniden sells their scanners to their dealers for only $99 and let's their dealers have $400 in profits...do you?

There's a lot of costs that go into making a digital scanner. What they are only Uniden would know.

LiquidPandora

You don't really think Uniden sells their scanners to their dealers for only $99 and let's their dealers have $400 in profits...do you?

There's a lot of costs that go into making a digital scanner. What they are only Uniden would know.

Works every time, I have so much fun with you know everythign types.. just having fun with his Find.. it is a good one.

JamesO

sergentslaughter

Thank you for confirming where you bought this and posting the picture with the information.

I do not have issues, however, you are the 3rd or 4th person making this claim recently without originally backing up the information with even a solid location of where this was purchased. Also with a thread title "Just To Brag" along without the details was a bit suspicious.

Many of these claims were from new members with very few posts.

I know Radio Shack quite well and I have researched this issue locally and this is not something going on it my area, the best prices was $399.97 on there was only 1 in the entire district about 50 miles outside the major Metro area. I have personally spent a lot of my time trying to ferret out if this was correct and if there was a clearance in my area and if these could be purchased for this very low price and nothing like this in my area to be found.

Personally I think Radio Shack screwed up on this as in my area the number is $399.97. Maybe Radio Shack caught the issue and changed the pricing in the database, who knows. This is WAY too low of a clearance for something of this price range.

So congratulations on a great buy on a good scanner. Enjoy it along with your other radios.

Again, thanks for solid confirmation on this find and purchase. It appears this is not Urban Myth but a Region clearance issue.

Last edited:

JamesO

And its a wonder why Radio Shack is in financial trouble!

They are likely loosing $250+ per radio at this price?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
A few weeks ago when I first heard about this deal from RS I had called 3 stores. 1 was out of stock, the other 2 had them for $200. Might be worth my time to drive up and negotiate... Armed with pictures of course!

S

screamin72

Im envious of such a bargain. Wished my local RS stores had deals like that hehe.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That is significantly below the part cost, much less the cost to assemble, package, and ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.