Just waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

Passed my Technician test about 12 days ago. Got my Kenwood TM 281A radio in the mail today. Stopped by to go over what I wanted with my installer earlier today. Waiting on my antenna, coax, (which was ordered 5 days earlier than the radio) and the programming software and cable. Plus I'm waiting on my call letters. I've checked the FCC website several times a day; nothing. When I get all this together I'll be on the air!

K8EAA

Premium Subscriber
Nice work. Always happy to get new people into the hobby. Before you know it, you will be getting your general. I've been in the hobby for almost 50 years and I still get a kick out of making contacts.

K4EET

Chaplain
@twotoejoe, since you are at the 12 day mark, you should have a callsign pretty soon now if the VEC is on top of things. But more important than that is this detail... CONGRATULATIONS on passing your test! You have joined a very rewarding hobby where you will have the opportunity to also help others. And there are so many different things to do that the hobby never becomes boring. I have been a ham since 1974 and still am experimenting with new things. I have had a blast for 46 years straight... 73, Dave K4EET

N5XPM

Congratulations. Just a thumbs up on a the TM 281 as a great radio choice. An installed radio like that will give you more range than portables and the ability to listen to other communications in addition to 2 meter amateur communications. It will need another radio "friend" sooner or later as well, but that just comes with this communications hobby.

W5lz

The 'trick' with all bands, VHF/UHF especially, is get the dang thing higher! Even a 'rubber-duck' will work better on your roof than inside the house. I'm not suggesting you put the 'rubber-duck' on the roof... but if that's all you can do, do it.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
People may tease you about that callsign, Knocked Out and or Did Not Qualify. Just an FYI.

Welcome to the fun hobby of amateur radio. Also, when you encounter people that give you a hard time about your equipment or how you may be operating, don’t worry about them. Just keep having fun. We live we learn.

K9DWB

QRT
I think I saw my email from the FCC about a week after I was already listed on the database. I had the tech license on that ULS database 1.5 days after the Tech test.

RockyBennett

Newby
I took my Tech license over a week ago and still no update on the FCC website for my call letters. When I took the test the folks at the club indicated that because of COVID-19, the FCC staffing has been reduced and the time might be a little longer than normal.

I'm still patiently waiting.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
When I was first licensed it took 8-12 WEEKS to get your license. No internet. No transmitting until the paper license arrived. I think some of the delays now are COVID-19 related and some have to do with how and in what way your VEC submits the applications. Some are definitely faster than others. I think the processing at the FCC is basically automated. If your VEC is using electronic filing it should be fast(er). Hope you're on the air soon.

K9DWB

QRT
I'm on a forum called Apnea Board where we have an off-topic on CQ CQ and discuss Amateur radio. One guy from CA said his VE team mailed via USPS and it took close to 2 weeks for his to post on the FCC ULS database. I'll take my Monday evening test to Wednesday at about 0900 to see it on FCC over that. My VE team sent the test data via email through W5YI-VEC. Sincerely hope y'all get yours showing on the database ASAP.

RockyBennett

Newby
I took my Tech license over a week ago and still no update on the FCC website for my call letters. When I took the test the folks at the club indicated that because of COVID-19, the FCC staffing has been reduced and the time might be a little longer than normal.

I'm still patiently waiting.

I have my license and call sign. Thanks everyone.

K4EET

Chaplain
I am in the same boat, passed on 8/13/20 and still waiting. I have everything set up, just waiting to be able to PTT.
Hi @olm911 and Welcome to Radio Reference! Congrats on passing your Amateur Radio test! You may want to start a new thread so you don't "hijack" this thread with congratulatory remarks like mine. In your own thread, then you can tell us when you do receive your callsign as well as tell us a little about yourself.

73, Dave K4EET

olm911

Premium Subscriber
Hi @olm911 and Welcome to Radio Reference! Congrats on passing your Amateur Radio test! You may want to start a new thread so you don't "hijack" this thread with congratulatory remarks like mine. In your own thread, then you can tell us when you do receive your callsign as well as tell us a little about yourself.

73, Dave K4EET
Will do, Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.