Just when I thought I figured it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb3j

I have the 996T & the 996XT scanners, and have had them a while. I hear quite a bit on the trunking systems for Delaware Public Service, but there has always been stuff I thought I should hear that I don't.

This week I bought a 396XT scanner which came pre-loaded with systems. Luckily one of the systems is the Delaware Public service. I am hearing a ton more than either of my desk models.

I down loaded the systems into ARC996XT & viewed the setup. The settings were the same, but the sites are not matching the RR database. For example, there are 6 public safety sites in the database, but the 396XT only has 4 sites pre-programmed. When looking at at the pre-programmed system, the 4 sites (all named the same...."deleware" is spelled wrong) yet there are more frequencies in the sites then the database has.

So is it possible they have combined the sites somehow so there are only 4 versus 6? I am also seeing a lot of TGID's that aren't listed in the RR database. A lot of these ID's start with i followed by a few numbers. I'm guessing these are unit ID's?

So I'm at a loss figuring out how Uniden programmed the portable radio with less sites & more frequencies in them...yet I'm hearing more than my other two radios.

Just to clarify...the systems used on my base radios were directly imported from the RR database and not changed or modified by me. All of the systems in the scanners were NOT locked out or anything.

I appreciate any thoughts on this. I'd like to be able to delete or turn off the sites that I don't need in all of the scanners to decrease the scan time.....and delete the unwanted TG's too.

'73

Jim

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The preprogramming was compressed so as to maximize national coverage, so some site frequencies were combined (to allow for more sites in the scanner). For local programming, it is better not to combine them.

The TGIDs starting with "i" are I-Calls. For those to be appearing, I suspect you've put the scanner into ID Search mode (which will result in the scanner stopping on any and all traffic on the system.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The database was most likely different at the time the pre-loaded data was configured for each radio. The most current data in the Radioreference database should be up to date. If it needs to be changed, then you should submit the correct data, so an administrator can edit the system. The database is only as good as the information submitted by the people who listen to (or use) it.

wb3j

Thanks for the replies....

I still don't understand why the 396XT programming is working MUCH better than the imported programming from the database. I uploaded the pre-programming from the 396 & then downloaded it to the 996xt. The 996xt now has the RR system imported along with the pre-programmed 396xt system....and I am receiving a lot more on the 396xt file than the database imported system.

As far as the TGID's begiing with "i'....I noticed tonight the the display changes when receiving a signal from the 4 or 5 digit ID to an "ixxxx". So I'm lost on what the data is that is being displayed. The scanner is in SCAN....not SEARCH when this is displayed.

I do have a question...about multi-site trunking. The Delaware system has 6 sites in the system spread out through the state. When a transmission is made on the radio, does it get transmitted through all of the sites or only the local site that the units are nearest? If this is correct, I'm guessing I can program ONLY the closest site that I am near?

Jim

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
like upman said the ixxxxxx id's are for i-calls. Individual radio to radio calls. The id after the id is a unique id not a talkgroup.

As for how the system works, it may be better to address this in the Delaware state forum.I think your system is setup kinda like this. Basically, it doesn't repeat everything on every site, it depends on what radio/user is affiliated with what site. There could be some statewide repeated talkgroups on the system, that would be heard all over the state.

You probably don't need to program in more than one site, with one exception. There is a note in the database that wilmington radios only affiliate with the wilmington site 4. This is listed under wilmington public safety system. So if you live within range of wilmington, you would need the wilmington system with wilmington and delaware public safety talkgroups AND the new castle site with delaware public safety talkgroups.

There could be others like this but, that one was noted in the database.

jeff.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PhillyScanner eBook is a much more complete reference for the state of Delaware - and for very similar reasons as they are for Philadelphia.

I always start off with the database to get my basic information, but then migrate over to the eBook to get more detailed data.

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.