JWIN TG question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
EX:

64688, D1 car
64714, Wildlife call

If I remember, someone posted that these 64XXX TGs I'm seeing (ID search) are iterant - temporary talkgroups.
However, all - or most anyway of the JWIN traffic I have heard for weeks (Gold anyway), have been these 64-whatever talkgroups.
Which means, all I see on the display is unknown....

I have not hand programmed these talkgroups, because of the above, (temp), but someone please enlighten me. Why are they using these TGs instead of 591XX and 592XX??

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I understand that the WSP has been/is going through changes to JWIN. My question to those with more knowledge and understanding is WHY the itinerant talk groups are being used. I assume temporarily during the transition?

Reading the latest status report (5/29) , I see: "The version 1.19 codeplug, which eliminated the conventional talk delay, was tested by district technicians and a trooper test group, and found suitable for use. Programming of trooper radios was approved by the project sponsor and began on May 27"

So, does this mean that once this codeplug is rolled out, WSP goes back to the 591XX for D1, 592XX for D2, 593XX for D3, etc? And, does anybody have visibility of this codeplug, so we know how things will be, once this project completes?

jparks29

John McClane
Harris systems use multi-select and patching a little different than /\/\ does. Based on my monitoring, and the fact that the talkgroups are semi-random, it seems to be the case here that they're being patched through a Harris system.

Harris systems use SAID (System Assigned ID) patches So, let's say you have TG 5000 and 5011, that you want to patch together, it will create a THIRD TG of, say, 62030, and it could be assigned to any talkgroup between 6200 and 62050 (or whatever the designated ID pool is).

That's a real rough synopsis of what I think is going on, but I've only monitored the new changes on IWN for less than a day, so..... Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I guess I don't understand where Harris comes into this then.
Moto is the vendor.....

Apologies, just trying to understand.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Update:
This morning, the JWIN activity I'm seeing is back to the normal trunkgroup numbers - at least on Gold. (58808 D8 Kitsap/Mason for example).

I just heard some D8 traffic about coverage, "they status'd us 3 times and we can hear them on the east and west ends - apparently, they can't hear us". So, still a work in progress apparently...

One other thing I do find interesting:
Reading the above JWIN project documents, I saw: "implement a new lease with the FEMA Bothell transmission site". But, currently FEMA Bothell is a WSP 700M site, (not JWIN). And yes, looking at the FCC data, the GPS comes back to the tower at FEMA Bothell. The only current SnoCo JWIN sites listed are Marysville, Gunnysack and King Lake.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Interesting isn't it...

Maybe a microwave hop, but doubtful, considering the license.

Do you know something...?
PM me if not for publication currently. I live fairly close (80th) and can keep an eye (ear) on it...

Also, I see your loc is Bothell. Do you currently hear any 700 traffic (from that FEMA site) at all?

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Check the prev post.

Gold is back to using the itinerant trunkgroups again this afternoon. Not sure if it's because of the issues I was hearing about this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.