• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

k-9 officers

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

why is it that K-9 officers have thier guns holstered on thier legs most of the time, and not like a regular duty belt?

RolnCode3

landonjensen said:
why is it that K-9 officers have thier guns holstered on thier legs most of the time, and not like a regular duty belt?
'cus it looks cool. Same reason POP officers will sometimes do it.

Unless you're wearing tactical armor (such as SWAT) or your primary firearm is a subgun/long gun, there's no ACTUAL need for a "tactical" or "drop" holster, IMO.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
At the department I worked with, one person would do it and the rest seemed to follow suit to "keep up with the Jones's". This was also after a major hurricane and tradisional uniforms were traided in for BRU pants and polo shirts. Interesting but comfortable combination.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
I have seen sometimes, that with skinny officers, the require just that extra bit of space on the belt for their transmitter to open the back door for the dog.

rescuecomm

I have a thigh holster that a friend gave me. His brother gave it to him and he couldn't figure out what to do with it either. Looks like the only time it would be necessary if you were using a repelling harness (SWAT) or something else that takes up the belt space. Otherwise, it looks like a good way to beat up your pistol on stuff.

Navycop

Some of the Navy K-9 guys (master-at-arms) were I worked carry a pouch with a ball in it. This is to reward the dog when s/he finds something.
The pouch is located in the area a regular gun holster would be on the right /left side (which ever hand the handler would normally carry a gun).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.