• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

K40 vs. Wilson 1000 Which would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg43545

I'll be installing a new Cobra 29 LTD Classic into my pickup truck soon and decided, what the heck, new CB, might as well make it an all new system, and plan on installing a new roof mounted antenna as well.

I've been looking online and right now the Wilson 1000 and the K40 seem to be the front runners.

I know they are both 5 footer's so they should both get out well, and I'm planning on adding a spring between the base load and the whip to absorb the inevitable contact between the antenna and some over hanging obstacle.

I'd like to know which one you'd recommend, and why?

Ct_Pirate

Just revived the need for communication equipment
Premium Subscriber
I would go with the Stryker first, better all around performance, quality, build and operation, Wilson 1000 second, Wilson Little Wil third, then the K40 lastly. I'd do some surfing on the Stryker on youtube and watch the comparisons. Why put it on the roof? I'd go on the corner of the front of the bed for some lower clearance stuff. Yeah you get some reflection but the banging would drive me nuts. Hope this helps some.

I had the Wilson 1000 mounted the the hood of my Highlander. I really loved it and it got out really well! Swr was also easy to adjust with it, though I was lucky and did not have much to adjust there. If I were to do it all over again I would go the same exact route with the Wilson 1000. By the way I had a spring on it as well.

I am not sure I would do roof mount with either of those personally, just too much banging on stuff. I would also reserve that spot for an nmo 2/440 antenna for the local repeater ragchew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Agreed -- avoid the k40.
On a gamble, I tried the stryker... I was impressed by how it well got out and received. For what appears to be a gimmick antenna, it worked very well. And I used a mag mount with it...

KX0Z

Another one to consider might be the Sirio 5000. I've heard good reports on that one. I play on buying one and using it on 10M FM amateur radio band..

FiveFilter

I use a mag-mount Wilson 1000 on my F250, which is used as an RV to tow a travel trailer around the country. I place the mount in the middle of the roof, where the best performance can always be achieved. At about 62 inches long, the antenna can communicate way out there, but it's not so tall as to hit much "stuff", since I don't drive the truck through garages etc. I've never needed a spring, and the whip has proven to be flexible enough to take the occasional tree limb and such without damage. I didn't need to trim the stinger to achieve good SWR, but adding a spring would probably require some adjustment to achieve best resonance.

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
I'll be installing a new Cobra 29 LTD Classic into my pickup truck soon and decided, what the heck, new CB, might as well make it an all new system, and plan on installing a new roof mounted antenna as well.

I've been looking online and right now the Wilson 1000 and the K40 seem to be the front runners.

I know they are both 5 footer's so they should both get out well, and I'm planning on adding a spring between the base load and the whip to absorb the inevitable contact between the antenna and some over hanging obstacle.

I'd like to know which one you'd recommend, and why?
I'm outnumbered, but I'm K-40 all day with maybe a few more than 4 watts!
Scan on.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Since I have owned both of these, I am going to give K40 my vote for one reason. Wilson stingers tend to bend when things are accidentally hit. However, you also have to be careful with K40 antennas as well. If you hit things with the K40, the plastic housing below the set screws will crack. Since I hit things with my antenna, the K40 has lasted the longest under these circumstances.

D

Disaborat

Wilson 1000 is a great antenna also a better choice for areas where you have to worry about your antenna.
I get better range with the Wilson over the K40.

Greg43545

Thank you all for your input, it was greatly appreciated. I did go with the Wilson 1000 and it is working great.

Has anyone who owns the Wilson 1000 purchased and used the " Short " antenna available for it?

If so, how did it work, and would you recommend it??

Ravenkeeper

I originally ran with my dad's Realistic mag-mount antenna, on his '72 Datsun truck, then I bought my K40, ran with it for about a year on my dad's truck, until I bought my '91 Nissan King Cab; in-which, I swapped it over to my truck the day I brought the truck home. Even when I traded that truck in for my '93 Grand Am and that one in for my '99 Grand Am, I was still running with that same K40 antenna. LOVED IT!!! May go back to K40, if I ever go back to a mag-mount antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.