KABC Channel 7 NXDN Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
So I am starting a thread because I believe the database is either incomplete or was not submitted correctly.

I have been taking this NXDN system on as a project and spending some time with it the past few weeks.

So I was not sure if the Whistler TRX-2 is not following NXDN trunking properly or what. I have been reading the Whistler forums and some people are reporting that NXDN with these radios are still evolving. So we shall see. As I imported this system into my radio via EZ-SCAN I was missing a lot of conversations and I was not able to figure it out until I started to run DSD Plus via my Uniden BCT15x.

I was watching the trunking part of it and was using using 450.315 as the CC. I did notice that I was correctly missing conversations because DSD Plus was showing conversations missed but was not hearing them on DSD Plus either. So I went thru the website for searching for NXDN licensing and going thru a few days on the FCC database and took all of the frequencies allocated for KABC and entered them into the scanner as a conventional scanlist and things started to make sense.

This is what I am getting so far and it seems to be working in conventional mode with these frequencies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I left the 450.3125 Control Channel out and added the four frequencies above in a conventional scan list and put the delay to 0 so it will not hang on a channel so I would not miss out on any conversation. Trunking is just not functioning right on the Whistler TRX-2 in NXDN mode.

Good Luck

prcguy

Ok, thanks. I listened to ABC a few times and it appeared to be a disconnected conversation, so I was probably missing some transmissions. I'll monitor with your lineup and let you know if it seems more complete.
prcguy

I left the 450.3125 Control Channel out and added the four frequencies above in a conventional scan list and put the delay to 0 so it will not hang on a channel so I would not miss out on any conversation. Trunking is just not functioning right on the Whistler TRX-2 in NXDN mode.

Good Luck

prcguy

Its working much better with just the 4 recommended freqs but I still may be missing an occasional transmission. Watching the display on my TRX-1 every transmission of the same conversation is on a different frequency.

The NXDN audio quality is good but compared to say KNBC network who is still wideband FM, it sounds like crap. As a radio user, I would not be happy going from a good high fidelity FM system to digital......
prcguy

allend

Premium Subscriber
keep in mind that you are using a TRX-1 and it depends on where you live and what antenna you are using. If its a rubber ducky then you might have issues. If you have a roof top Discone or something along those lines then you will receive better

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
If you guys think you are missing a frequency give 450.15 a try. I've noted NXDN activity in the past, though its not licensed to KABC the best I can figure.

Also kindly submit any updates/corrections to the Db.

allend

Premium Subscriber
So I have been doing a lot of research between the DMR and the NXDN search website below with regards to the KABC Channel 7 NXDN system. Also, been searching the FCC database too for active and expired license and frequencies. Been having success with narrowing down all of the frequencies. I think I might be short one but I am 95 percent on the money so far.

Digital Frequency Search

I have not tried to put my TRX-2 in NXDN trunk mode for the system yet. I have put all of the frequencies in conventional mode with zero delay so it releases real fast. So these are the frequencies that have had voice on them so far.

allend

Premium Subscriber
So I have been doing a lot of research between the DMR and the NXDN search website below with regards to the KABC Channel 7 NXDN system. Also, been searching the FCC database too for active and expired license and frequencies. Been having success with narrowing down all of the frequencies. I think I might be short one but I am 95 percent on the money so far.

Digital Frequency Search

I have not tried to put my TRX-2 in NXDN trunk mode for the system yet. I have put all of the frequencies in conventional mode with zero delay so it releases real fast. So these are the frequencies that have had voice on them so far.

Heard some comms today on this channel too in conventional mode. I am coming to the conclusion that the TRX-1 and TRX-2 are still having issues in trunking mode with NXDN and I am really leaning on that even scanning in conventional mode I am missing conversations with KABC>

The reason why I believe is because I am scanning all of the MTA in Los Angeles in conventional mode in NXDN and when I am running DSD + plus I am hearing stuff on the computer with DSD + plus and some of the channels on the TRX-2 are not locking on.

I am tapped in on the discrim with a BCT15X on the raw audio and its coming straight from the horses mouuth

Very strange

allend

Premium Subscriber
I am also thinking about programming all of the KABC channels in conventional mode with zero delay on the search with the raw audio and monitor thru DSD + plus and see what happens in this mode.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Received submission for Site 5 for this system which I added to the Db.

NID 105 Site 5 Ran 5 NL 1 2 3 4
NEXEDGE48, 105, 5, 22, 450.13125, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 105, 5, 25, 450.150, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 105, 5, 28, 450.16875, 0.0, 0

Location is unknown but was received strong in SFV/Santa Clarita so it could be something like Oat.

If anyone can determine further, please submit.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Received submission for Site 5 for this system which I added to the Db.

NID 105 Site 5 Ran 5 NL 1 2 3 4
NEXEDGE48, 105, 5, 22, 450.13125, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 105, 5, 25, 450.150, 0.0, 0
NEXEDGE48, 105, 5, 28, 450.16875, 0.0, 0

Location is unknown but was received strong in SFV/Santa Clarita so it could be something like Oat.

If anyone can determine further, please submit.

Thanks for the update. I am going to try and enter in these frequencies in conventional mode on the TRX-2 with the rest of the frequencies. Maybe I will not miss anymore transmissions. These three frequencies might be the fix. Keep you posted.

brandon

Database Admin
Just curious, how often does abc7 actually use the system? And for what purposes? Thanks

Their helicopter is very active on it. They talk with the assignment desk about incidents.

There is also some engineering related comms from time to time.

allend

Premium Subscriber
So if you want to listen to KABC Channel 7 news its good to listen at least 1 hr before the 4pm news or 10pm at night before the 11pm news

Adding

450-13125 and 450.16875 makes a huge difference. I am starting to hear all transmissions. Nothing seems to be missing anymore.

bb911

So if you want to listen to KABC Channel 7 news its good to listen at least 1 hr before the 4pm news or 10pm at night before the 11pm news

Adding

450-13125 and 450.16875 makes a huge difference. I am starting to hear all transmissions. Nothing seems to be missing anymore.

Yeh, I remember when most of the major LA TV stations had audio up for their field reporters just prior to going to them live. At times KNX radio would be live on a 450 freq for hours on end.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any luck figuring out how to program this into the 436hp yet? I heard intermittent traffic this afternoon in Santa Clarita, when the helicopter was lifting off, but must be missing something as I am not picking up all of the traffic, and I have it programmed in conventional mode, because I can't figure out how to program the NXDN settings yet via the Butel ARC software.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I tried...do I choose NXDN trunked? What about the RAN and LCN channel numbers? Obviously being very new to this I was hoping someone already figured it out without the whole "bang my head on the wall" aspect of the programming...

allend

Premium Subscriber
I honestly believe that that the KABC NXDN system that is in the RR database is not correct.

What I have done so far and it works 90 to 95 percent of the time is program all of the frequencies in manually and it seems to work just fine.

As to NXDN trunking I have never been able to figure it out since the database is not completely correct as of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.