Kanawha Valley conventional use

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys.. trying to get my programming updated for a planned trip up to the Kanawha River area.

I dug up an old thread that noted that Kanawha County was about 80% on SIRN as of 2016. Is this still the case and is there anything worthwhile conventional to even put in? Also interested in Fayette, Putnam, and Cabell. The database isn't too clear on what has switched over, or if both conventional and SIRN are being used.

Thanks!

fredva

Feed Provider
I only monitor Kanawha County occasionally. I have both SIRN and conventional frequencies programmed in. I can't say that I pay close attention to which agency is using what but I'll tell you what I think I know. I believe the Kanawha County Sheriff's Dept. still uses conventional VHF a lot. Charleston Fire/EMS and PD are on SIRN. I would say Fire and EMS elsewhere in the county is a mix - I know there is paging of volunteer fire departments on VHF but I'm not sure how much other traffic there is on conventional. The paging might be duplicated on the SIRN but I'm not sure. The state police will be on SIRN - I think the low-band frequencies are only a backup now.

Putnam County Fire/EMS dispatch is on 155.115 but I only hear the dispatcher's side of the conversation and I can't tell you if it is duplicated on SIRN or not. Looks like they have a couple of other dispatch frequencies for specific fire departments that I didn't know about until now.

cj40

Premium Subscriber
Cabell County is set up to broadcast on both SIRN and conventional (Simulcast if you will) So you should be able to hear plenty with the exception of Huntington PD, they are only using digital. Putnam is full digital minus the fire departments which still run VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.