Kane County VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Ok talking with other "radio guys" and this came up. How does the KaneCom system work ? My understanding is the they have a second South ( Big Rock ) repeater with different input/output then the 159.150 repeater in Geneva. What we don't know is , how does the two repeater system work? RR says that the South repeater is simulcasted with the 159 ( North ) repeater. Do officers have to manually switch between each repeater as coverage needs dictate?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the actual workings but for general info it simulcasts with 158.835 and Pl 91.5

officerdave

Retired LEO
yep ..do you know if is it an IP based link between the 2 repeaters? As an example, KenCom is true simulcast , multiple sites transmitting at the same time , on the same freqs . GPS timed for best overlapping coverage .

The portable coverage still sucks throughout the County . Working with Kane guys at times is scary, with very poor portable coverage. Wish bean counters put officer safety first. Reminds me of the OLD days, of standing on a picnic table to raise my portable over my head , to maybe get coverage...…

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Anytime you "patch" different systems, it never sounds that good. The modulation quality sound like you're in a fish bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.