Kansas State Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruver911

Since the State Fair has been brought up in other threads, thought I'd start one for updates. In past years, traffic units around Hutchinson have been on KHP-F 2 and units on the grounds have been on 867.100 conventional (DCS 503). Last year there was maintenance traffic on ICS3 on the south COW trailer. The rebanding license for the Fair channel came through about 3 weeks ago, and all the state radios in central Kansas were reprogrammed last month, so there is a good chance it will be on 852.100. Have to be close; it doesn't carry very far from the grounds.Let us know what you hear!

jasonkw

I will not be able to hear anything here in Hutchinson, at least with the digital. My PRO106 went deaf again. It is covered under a warranty repair this time, but I doubt I will get it back before the fair is over.

I still have a BC200XLT, I'll try that for the conventional frequency. I thought it would all digital by now, especially since the Hutchinson tower is now active.

n0lqt

Interestingly, the COW Van is not showing up as active yet. (at least not as of earlier today, Thursday, when I was over in Hutch). Wonder if they won't actually turn it on until the official "start" of the Fair. K-DOT really values it and gets a fairly hefty daily fee for its use I understand....

I did notice they have added a couple of extra voice channels to the Partridge site this week: 852.55000 and 853.97500. The Control Channel is still at 866.73750 and the Hutch site is still at 852.46250.

Last edited:

jasonkw

I'll have to suffer not hearing fair traffic. They wanted over $200 to fix my PRO106. I have a thread in the Radio Shack scanner forum about it.

dgruver911

Made a trip to the fair this afternoon. The conventional repeater is still on 867.100 but is just maintenance personnel. KHP fair units and base were on TG 320 KHF zone F car to car. No control channel or sight of the COW.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
I was at the fair monday. Took my new GRE PSR-500 with me. It worked perfectly. I was hearing all State Fair traffic on KHP troop F zone F (TG 320) Call sign for the dispatcher is Hutchinson.

Heard lots of traffic from lost children to elder needing medical attention due to the heat.

bear780ks

KANSAS STATE FAIR IS ON.. KSICS.!

The 2013 Kansas State Fair is Up N Going and for the Folk's that want to Monitor it). The old non Trucking 800Mhz frequency has Been Disabled and Talk Group (((( 316 ))) Has been assigned to the Fair

I found it by doing a Search on my 396 this Morning to all Enjoy and enjoy the 100th Anniversary of the Kansas State Fair.. bear780KS Ra

Last edited:

nec911

Interestingly, the COW Van is not showing up as active yet. (at least not as of earlier today, Thursday, when I was over in Hutch). Wonder if they won't actually turn it on until the official "start" of the Fair. K-DOT really values it and gets a fairly hefty daily fee for its use I understand....

KDOT doesn't own the COW any longer and the fee in the past has much higher for "for profit events."

It will be interesting to see what the OEC does about requests for its usage at deployments, exercises, incidents, non-profits and for profits.

n0lqt

KDOT doesn't own the COW any longer and the fee in the past has much higher for "for profit events."

It will be interesting to see what the OEC does about requests for its usage at deployments, exercises, incidents, non-profits and for profits.

You missed that my previous post was from two years ago when KDOT still thought they were the LORDS OF CREATION of Kansas (well, they still kind of do I think). I'm also not sure if the State Fair is considered a "for profit" event. That is partly how they get away with paying the workers less than federal minimum wage. It is classed as an "agricultural exposition" so they only have to pay 5 or 6 buck an hour....

dgruver911

Went to the fair yesterday. Confirmed that the troopers on the grounds are using the new talkgroup 316. That has been submitted to the database administrator. Anything off the grounds was on Troop F KHP-2; the dispatch channel for that area. There was really very little traffic on 316, but I didn't carry my scanner on the grounds with me, just listened driving in and out.

Did notice that the prison trash details were using VHF handhelds. DOC typically uses 155.13 for their guards on the grounds. Didn't see any maintenance people, but they used to use a repeater on 155.805 until they went to the State Fair 800 conventional the last year or two didn't hear any traffic this year). I did note the repeater antenna was gone from the pole by their maintenance shed behind the animal barns.

bear780ks

Fun at the Fair.. Especially Near the Beer Garden

Today is the Last Day to get all your FAIR :p needs in at Midnight it's all Over) That is till next year.. Listening this year was a little null compared to Years past especially when there were Fights in the Beer Garden when that happens depending on the situation all the KHP would be scrambled there One year me an my dad was Was at the south end the Garden and seen a Fight break out and escalate. but with as many Troopers that arrived it calmed down rather Quickly..

We new one of the Troopers that helped re-acquire the Peace.. One of the Highlight moment's of the altercation was when this Little Gal.. Kind of Lost her short mini Skirt Dress :p and required alternate Cover.. As the dress was destroyed.!

Last edited:

factorone

You missed that my previous post was from two years ago when KDOT still thought they were the LORDS OF CREATION of Kansas (well, they still kind of do I think). I'm also not sure if the State Fair is considered a "for profit" event. That is partly how they get away with paying the workers less than federal minimum wage. It is classed as an "agricultural exposition" so they only have to pay 5 or 6 buck an hour....

Ironically, I saw it at the last NASCAR even at the Speedway in KCK parked off of 110th and I-70. Makes sense to see it there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.