Kay / Osage County Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone,

I live in Ark City, Kansas (in Cowley County just north of the KS/OK border) and I am looking to monitor Kay and Osage County frequencies, and am mostly interested in listening to Sheriff and Fire/EMS traffic.

I see some are listed on the database as NFM, while a few are listed as DMR, and NXDN. So I wanted to check to see what is used and what is not. I would check my self, but am waiting on a VHF antenna to be delivered in the mail before I can listen to anything. I will be listening on a Kenwood TK-7180 (set up receive only) with a Tram 1490 base antenna.

Is Kay County Sheriff using DMR full-time? The database shows two different "DISPATCH" repeater pairs, one is DMR, and the other is NFM. The license shows both repeater sites (Newkirk and Blackwell) have emission designators for both DMR and NFM.

Additionally is Osage County Sheriff using NFM or NXDN? I am looking to monitor their "West" dispatch channel on 159.2325 (from the repeater site at the Army Corps of Engineers office just west of the Kaw Lake Dam), and the license shows emission designators for NFM, and NXDN.

Has anyone heard traffic on the OHP Troop K relay in Blackwell? It looks like the OKWIN system doesn't have any towers I would be able to receive from my location...

Here is the list of what I propose to program into the radio, is there anything I can delete, or need to add that I may be missing?

1 - 151.0250 - Kay Sheriff 1 (Possibly DMR?)
2 - 155.8500 - Kay Sheriff 2 (Possibly DMR?, but shows NFM on the DB)
3 - 158.8950 - Kay Emergency Management
4 - 158.9250 - Kay Emergency Management Newkirk
5 - 159.2325 - Osage Sheriff West (Possibly NXDN?, but shows NFM on the DB)
6 - 154.2950 - Newkirk Fire/EMS
7 - 154.1900 - Ponca Fire/EMS
8 - 159.2100 - OHP Blackwell Relay

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm Kay SO is DMR, and appears full time. Not sure about their .85 frequency.
Osage I've only heard analog on.

KOK5CY

You should be able to receive the kaw lake repeater from your location but I'd suggest getting that antenna high as you can . height makes a big difference .

Last edited:

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to receive the kaw lake repeater from your location but I'd suggest getting that antenna high as you can . height makes a big difference .
It will be on a 40ft mast, however I am considering going to a different radio / scanner if Kay County is DMR. My TK-7180 will be worthless for that.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if these are used at all? I would assume they are used for weather operations (which is all I would be interested in)

158.8950 - Kay Emergency Management
158.9250 - Kay Emergency Management Newkirk (shows CSQ is their no PL/DPL on this?)

Status
Not open for further replies.