KDEN/DIA 800 feeds terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Due to Lindsay's decision to move all RR feeds to a new site (effective 10/15/12) and not take care of his feed providers after 01/15/13, I have terminated the KDEN TWR/APP/DEP feeds as well as the DIA Public Safety feed, effective immediately.

KDEN Ground/Ramp, Tower, Approach/Departure/TRACON, Denver Center High and Denver Center Low can still be listened to at liveatc.net.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
If there is one thing I've learned in owning and operating RadioReference.com for the past 9 years, it is that there is always at least one person that throws their hands in the air and basically says "I Quit!" when we make changes or innovate forward.

It's like death and taxes, it happens every time :)

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Glad I could be your example Lindsay.
You pegged me. I'm a 10+ year RR "quitter".

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If there is one thing I've learned in owning and operating RadioReference.com for the past 9 years, it is that there is always at least one person that throws their hands in the air and basically says "I Quit!" when we make changes or innovate forward.

It's like death and taxes, it happens every time :)

WOW respectfully to you as a Owner and Operator Lindsay there are Many more than ONE complaining read the three pages of replies on the announcement . It is your RIGHT but that does not mean you are RIght!

Sad day for Hobby

Moosemedic

RR / Feeds and 5.0 Radio Pro app

So, what happens to all the feeds I hear with my 5.0 Radio Pro app (and the Scanner+ app) on the iPhone if the feeders take down their sites?

Don't these apps just use the feeds provided for free to sell to us for a fee?

Or am I misunderstanding how this process works?

SCPD

QRT
Due to Lindsay's decision to move all RR feeds to a new site (effective 10/15/12) and not take care of his feed providers after 01/15/13, I have terminated the KDEN TWR/APP/DEP feeds as well as the DIA Public Safety feed, effective immediately.

KDEN Ground/Ramp, Tower, Approach/Departure/TRACON, Denver Center High and Denver Center Low can still be listened to at liveatc.net.

Same here as well. On 10-1-12 my feeds go bye bye..

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
So, what happens to all the feeds I hear with my 5.0 Radio Pro app (and the Scanner+ app) on the iPhone if the feeders take down their sites?

Don't these apps just use the feeds provided for free to sell to us for a fee?

Or am I misunderstanding how this process works?

I think your misudnerstanding how the process works. You do not pay a dime to listen to the feeds on your iphone.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator

Bummer to see your feed off of RR. I'm going to miss listening to it at work almost every day...

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Erik,

I appreciate your comment, along with Jeffrey's, Nate's and others via PM. For me, it's not an issue of money, but rather principle.
I don't appreciate the fact that our time and contributions really amount to nothing here anymore. Oh, I'm sure someone will come along and imply that those of us that have issue with this are nothing more than complainers, but they'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere else where I have complained about RR. I'm sure some folks here on the CO forum will tell me I'm naive and say "where have YOU been" when it comes to how RR has been handling things as of late. They may be right.
I don't bash RR, its owner or management, I just think this was a bad decision on their part. I'm not stomping off in a huff, but just won't provide my feeds here anymore - that's all.

Mike

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I've posted my comments here:

The RadioReference.com Forums - View Single Post - Coming soon, Broadcastify.com

And included a follow up which asks "why not just give the feeders a dollar credit they can choose whether to apply toward Broadcastify or RR? In a follow on post.

It's interesting to see most all the comments and there are many on that thread which you referenced are positive and in-support of the change, except those from Colorado feeders, what has RR done to upset you?

In the end I am extremely supportive of the Broadcastify move and direction and look forward to taking advantage the numerous additional offerings this platform will provide us.

And no I'm not drinking the cool aid (well maybe only a little it's good!) as many have accused me, but give the new format and platform a chance before you jump to conclusions.

Jim<

Last edited:

jeffreyinberthoud

Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.267 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I for one jim and I know there were a few others that agree we give give give data for wiki data for database feeds so on what do we get. Banded from wiki for not entering data just right now we loose the free download of data hell some of it is what we ourselves in colorado have provided incase the owners have not noticed we are the biggest and best run forum our wiki page was the best ( work in progress or at least it was

Moosemedic

I think your misudnerstanding how the process works. You do not pay a dime to listen to the feeds on your iphone.

No, I think maybe you missed the point...

You guys provide the feed

Someone developed and App that I paid for to listen to your freely provided scanner traffic

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.267 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I for one jim and I know there were a few others that agree we give give give data for wiki data for database feeds so on what do we get. Banded from wiki for not entering data just right now we loose the free download of data hell some of it is what we ourselves in colorado have provided incase the owners have not noticed we are the biggest and best run forum our wiki page was the best ( work in progress or at least it was

Jeffrey, As Erik has already addressed their are wiki guidelines and you did not follow them but continue to be upset over a year later, it's a hobby after all and luckily I don't have a dog in that wiki fight but would strongly suggest to you let it go, or let RR go as you have threatened many times.

Jim<

jeffreyinberthoud

Banned

Its business to some jim but I get your point Ill start entering data in yahoo

Thayne

Really guys, all of us have had things happen thru our lives that make us want to pick up our marbles and cut out, and 99% of those on RR are upstanding persons. $$ make the world go round more than ever, so you can't condemn the majority of people for that and be logical.
Myself, I have always thought streaming may be a good way to make $$, but I always thought it would hasten the end of scanning as we know it. I noticed that on Metronet very often they say "give us a landline" and we all Know why. Same reason why 10 years ago I could drive 2 miles and go between Best Buy, Circuit City, Tech America, Soundtrack & Comp USA and shop & bargain all day long. The reason is the internet, (of course) Best buy is all thats' left & I call it worst buy now.

It is the same old story over & over so we might as well get used to it and hope we will be around for the next big deal--Doubtful to me with the way our government is heading----

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
No, I think maybe you missed the point...

You guys provide the feed

Someone developed and App that I paid for to listen to your freely provided scanner traffic

If you paid for the app, then you were just throwing your money away. I don't know about the iPhone, but on Android there are several free scanner feed apps. Plus, you can get the feeds through your web browser at m.radioreference.com.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

soundchaser

I think it's interesting that the RR database is 99% stocked by people in the scanning community who have given their time freely. That data, in turn, is copyrighted without any compensation to the true creator of data (the community), and is sold back at a profit to the community so they can program their scanners. Or, in the case of Home Patrol or the 800, that data access is sold to the scanner manufacturers without any compensation to the people who have provided that data.

So, I don't know why people are so up in arms about the feeds, when the entire premise of RR is you give something for free to enrich someone else. Yeah, there are some comparatively small expenses for bandwidth/servers, but those ads you see sprinkled around more than covers it.

I'm not advocating that people stop using RR. Just look at the big picture when you provide a feed, make a submission to the database, or update the wiki.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Simplifying - It looks to me like the fuss is that Lindsay has changed the payback to the providers from Premium status on RR to Premium on BCfy without giving them any input before the decision was announced.

It appears to me that the Premium RR has value to jeffrey and datainmotion while Premium in BCfy does not.

If those providers (and any others who object) see that they've lost value thru the change, they should take down the feeds. That's the only apparent leverage available.

Both parties are free to continue or part ways as they see fit.

(I don't/can't receive streams nor do I provide one so I don't have a dog in the fight. But I too expect that this will help encryption come sooner. )

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
From what I can understand, one point (not all) of contention between the providers that disagree and RR is that instead getting free access to downloading from the database to program their scanner, they are now being told that they need to pay the normal premium subscription price to be able to update their scanners on behalf of RR (who is profiting). To them, it makes it look like that they have to pay monthly to host a feed for someone else to make money off of their voluntary work.

That being said, I don't provide a feed, but I don't like the idea of live audio being split off (therefore I will not claim neutrality in the issue). When I was with ScanAmerica, archives were free (the only real thing I cared about) and I didn't mind the move to RR, but I didn't really enjoy it. I tolerated it, and I hatefully tolerated it when they moved the archives to premium subscribers only. Being one of the rare people who actually wanted the archives (other perks were nice additions), I thought $2.50/month was already stretching it a bit to be able to listen to rare interesting events. Now that the price will be increasing by a factor of 2.78 with half the features (3.78 if you want both RR and Broadcastify), I've reached my point where the few rare .mp3 files are no longer worth it. However, I do believe the price hike is targeting the media who like to raid RR archives to get their rating up.

But...since RR subscriptions carry over, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to purchase a few years worth for a great discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.