KDEN/DIA 800 feeds terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
No, I think maybe you missed the point...

You guys provide the feed

Someone developed and App that I paid for to listen to your freely provided scanner traffic

I didn't miss the point. You are not paying to listen to the audio. You paid for the App, just like any other app from the iTunes store. There are several apps that are FREE to download and listen through your phone.

kent11

NE Colorrado Feeds

I have had Proscan up with scanner traffic feeds for years. I did it for myself and a few friends. It was a few lines of code to send to RR in exchange for access to the database. Sounds like the incentive is gone so I will delete the code. RR won't care but at least I will feel better.

Everyone is invited to connect at Proscan.kci.net (assuming something interesting happens out here:)

rickr855

Feed Provider
I started a feed a few months ago for some friends & relatives. I just read where I had a 'premium' membership, apparently for providing a feed. I did not know that, apparently I am going to lose it. What's the big deal about a premium membership? I understand (now) that you can use automated downloads, all I need to do is look at the db and pick out what I want, that is free right? I had to create an account for my feed but I have never even logged in before let alone paid for access to RR db. So what is all the hissy fit about?

JoeyC

So what is all the hissy fit about?

That is what I'd like to know. It doesnt matter how many times you say it. The database is FREE and it doesn't take a premium account to PROGRAM your scanner FOR FREE.

But people won't read that and the whining continues. Just for the sake of whining it appears.
:confused:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
That is what I'd like to know. It doesnt matter how many times you say it. The database is FREE and it doesn't take a premium account to PROGRAM your scanner FOR FREE.

But people won't read that and the whining continues. Just for the sake of whining it appears.
:confused:

Here's what the fuss is about-

Yes, the database is free for manual lookups for the data of interest. So, yes, one can program their scanner for free. This is what I did before paying for Premium status. It's tedious. But it's free.

The database is not free for those who use the database import functions of their respective software packages. This requires Premium membership. This is the fast and effective way to program one's scanner.

This benefit is what the fuss is about.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
It's clear to me that the live audio section is being spun off into a separate site, thus benefits that extend back to RR don't make any sense. He was graciously extending those benefits to the contributors while it was part of the site, but with it becoming a separate site with separate premium benefits, it makes more sense to extend those benefits to contributors of that site. Sure, Broadcastify is being ran by the same guy, but it's going to be an entirely separate site and business from what I can tell.

I don't know the answer to these questions - did ScanAmerica.com extend any benefits to the contributors before RR acquired the business? Were any of the feed providers who are 'pulling the plug' getting any benefits from any other live audio site they were streaming to before moving to RR?

If the premium RR benefits sunsetting cause anyone this much anguish, perhaps it would seem that they are worth the 8.2 cents per day/$2.50 per month.

Last edited:

f0urtyfive

Premium Subscriber
If the premium RR benefits sunsetting cause anyone this much anguish, perhaps it would seem that they are worth the 8.2 cents per day/$2.50 per month.

I think it's more of a "principal thing" than that; being required to pay for access to the database to program a scanner which you're spending your own time/money to provide back to radio reference for free for them to sell premium services on top of has left a sour taste in their mouths.

I dont think it's particular whiney or an over-reaction... If the person providing the feed on their own time and cost feels that their generosity is being taken advantage of in this move then they should do as they please with their time and money (and feed).

Arguing with people who've chosen to "take their ball and go home" and calling them names is rather counter-productive. I can see both sides: the feed providers feel they're providing a valuable service to RR/Broadcastify (which Broadcastify is going to turn around and be selling premium services on top of) and are now going to be getting nothing they value in return. On the other hand, Lindsay and the RR staff want to start monetizing the feeds better, and selling premium services on top of them.

JoeyC

Here's what the fuss is about-

This benefit is what the fuss is about.

Been there, done that. The automatic import is somewhat helpful, and certainly not a back saver. How often does one really need to reprogram a scanner for a feed. Really?

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Been there, done that. The automatic import is somewhat helpful, and certainly not a back saver. How often does one really need to reprogram a scanner for a feed. Really?

Maybe not for a feed, but for travel. Those who travel often and like to listen to the local traffic, its a big deal.

I have a feed. I will be losing my subscription to RR after the grace period. Am I disappointed at the change? Yes. Am I angry and taking my ball and going home? NO. My feed will continue. If and when I need to make a change to the scanner in my truck, I will pay the $2.50 (hopefully a month only subscription option will be offered) and that will be that. I have already noticed I high number of feeds offline. Just look state by state. A lot more red then when I first logged on here. Take a deep breath and see what happens BEFORE you cut your feed. If and when you bring it back up you may not have the listener count you had here. NOW where is you incentive to have it in the first place?

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I think it's more of a "principal thing" than that; being required to pay for access to the database to program a scanner which you're spending your own time/money to provide back to radio reference for free for them to sell premium services on top of has left a sour taste in their mouths.

In this case, it would seem to boil down to the question of 'why are you providing the feed?' If it's for the sole benefit of having a no-cost $30/year subscription to RR, then I guess the question is answered. If it's to provide a feed that you and the rest of the community can access for free using a host of wonderful iPhone and Android apps and on the RR site - not to mention have feed archives to listen to, then it's another story. For the latter, someone has to foot the bill for the bandwidth to stream the audio out to all of those users and maintain the platform (plus provide for his family!), so I don't see the big deal with charging a fee for it. As a provider, you won't be paying any fees to Broadcastify, just as you weren't when it was with RR. I don't know of any other sites that provide any kind of consistent benefit to audio feed providers, much less a bonus when a big event hits your feed and brings users to it...but I could be wrong about that.

Still, I don't think anyone got any kind of benefit before they moved their stream to RR, and I doubt that anyone will after they move it away. But again...I could be wrong, and would be happy to be proven so!

Last edited:

n0nhp

I guess I must be soft in the head, I have been happily paying my annual membership fee since my feed was absorbed by RR just as I did while my feed was both private and with ScanAmerica. My feed is up for my enjoyment and if others enjoy, that is just icing on the cake. That is also why my feed has the channels I want on it (minus a few that the TOS eliminates and those are on another separate scanner in the shack) despite what some users have asked for.
I have maybe used the auto-program download 8 or 10 times in the years I have been a member but have really appreciated being able to keep the database up to date on a national server instead of my personal web site as it was from the mid 80s until late 90s. That was a lot of work and as many times as I would ask for help, all I usually got was "your database for XXX county is wrong, FIX IT"
As I have posted before, If you are not happy, Don't do it!
If you feel that paying for an APP on your smart phone entitles you to something, take it up with the folks that sold you the app.
I think my premium badge will stay and my feed will move.
But that is me.

Bruce

Last edited:

soundchaser

The automatic downloads are also used for people running DTRS logging programs such as unitrunker and pro96com. These logging programs directly benefit the RR database in return.

JoeyC

The automatic downloads are also used for people running DTRS logging programs such as unitrunker and pro96com. These logging programs directly benefit the RR database in return.

Automatic downloading is helpful for several purposes. But it is not a requirement in any of them, including running Unitrunker and pro96com.

Status
Not open for further replies.