KDO-89 NOAA StL...Offline

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if anyone else in the StL area has noticed KDO-89 not transmitting. I have checked with three different radios and my Midland All Hazards is beeping every 10mins or so with all the alerts flashing.

This has not made the local news as far as I know. Guess I might send them a message.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this a news item for the local news outlet or not.

Going forward it would most likely be only a minor one and only get a brief mention if anything.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I actually emailed a local TV weather forecaster and he replied. It is a continuing, off and on, problem with phone lines that take the info from the NOAA office in St. Charles County to the transmitter site in St. Louis County. A little over a month ago they had the same issue and it was repaired. It was mentioned on local TV back then. Though not a blood and guts leading story.

hitechRadio

Why NOAA transmitters have not switched to internet backhaul by now, I will never understand. As far as I understand they primarily still use leased analog dry copper pair. The cost has got to be thru the roof for them these days for those circuits. They could probably do network with cell backup, and still save money.
Part of the problem is there is very few ATT techs anymore that know how to work on the stuff and parts availability is scarce.