KDVR Phorg arrested, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
KUSA - A local television photographer was arrested early Friday morning for interfering with police.

9NEWS has learned that the incident happened around 2 a.m. Friday after police got a call that an SUV went into Cherry Creek at Cherokee and Speer.

The SUV did not go into the water but was heavily damaged.
There's no word on the victim. Sometime after the accident, a photographer working for the local Fox affiliate, KDVR-TV, was arrested for interfering with police activity, according to a KDVR employee.

9NEWS also learned that the photographer's personal car was towed from the scene. KDVR executives have yet to comment on the photographer's arrest.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
TV Photographer Arrested After Taping Car Accident

Last Edited: Friday, 11 Apr 2008, 6:01 PM MDT
Created: Friday, 11 Apr 2008, 6:01 PM MDT

DENVER (AP) - A KDVR-TV executive says the arrest of one of the station's photographers at the scene of a car accident was a misunderstanding and that he never should have been placed in custody.

KDVR Vice President of News Brad Remington says the photographer was simply doing his job and was not interfering with police when he arrived at the scene. Remington says the photographer began taping before many officers arrived.

Denver police Lt. Ron Saunier identified the photographer as 50-year-old Perry Drake. Saunier did not specify why Drake was arrested.

Saunier says Drake was held at the police station for "at least a couple of hours" before he was released. Drake was cited with disobedience to a lawful order and interference.

kc0kp

jimmnn said:
TV Photographer Arrested After Taping Car Accident

Last Edited: Friday, 11 Apr 2008, 6:01 PM MDT
Created: Friday, 11 Apr 2008, 6:01 PM MDT

DENVER (AP) - A KDVR-TV executive says the arrest of one of the station's photographers at the scene of a car accident was a misunderstanding and that he never should have been placed in custody.

KDVR Vice President of News Brad Remington says the photographer was simply doing his job and was not interfering with police when he arrived at the scene. Remington says the photographer began taping before many officers arrived.

Denver police Lt. Ron Saunier identified the photographer as 50-year-old Perry Drake. Saunier did not specify why Drake was arrested.

Saunier says Drake was held at the police station for "at least a couple of hours" before he was released. Drake was cited with disobedience to a lawful order and interference.
I feel for the guy. I worked with him at channel 7 and he is a very conscientious worker. Then again, I got arrested twice working for channel 9. Both times, I let the tape continue to record as a silent witness. That saved my skin both times. Despite narratives of the arresting officers of how much I interfered, the video and audio testified that there was no such interference. In both cases, the officers were disciplined and the charges were never presented for prosecution.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Not to get into a "tavern" type discussion, but I've never understood why camera dudes get harassed so much.... maybe it's because of some stories that put the cops in a bad light - I don't know.
For the record, I've always let them do their job unless they were in a dangerous situation.

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
Getting Too Close

Funny, just three days ago I watched a Fox Photographer get very close to firefighting operations at a brush fire. No PPE, 10 feet or so from the fire and 35 mph wind gusts... Not very smart, neither was his vehicle placement had things escalated or had units came from the west. Doing things like this can be detrimental to scene access for everyone in PhotoJournalism. Think safety, park out of the way of current & future operations and don't stand on the same side of the street unless you're invited to do so.

Attachments

• Fox31a.jpg
    Fox31a.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Fox31b.jpg
    Fox31b.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 174

jfab

Toneslider12 said:
Funny, just three days ago I watched a Fox Photographer get very close to firefighting operations at a brush fire. No PPE, 10 feet or so from the fire and 35 mph wind gusts... Not very smart, neither was his vehicle placement had things escalated or had units came from the west. Doing things like this can be detrimental to scene access for everyone in PhotoJournalism. Think safety, park out of the way of current & future operations and don't stand on the same side of the street unless you're invited to do so.
Maybe the same guy:wink:?

Status
Not open for further replies.