• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Keeping Orion and M7100 on with no control head

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I'm trying to utilize some radio's laying for a receive only application, but due to a shortage of control heads, I'd like to use the radio's without a control head.

On the Orion's, the radio will keep working after removing the control head while the radio is on. Once it loses power, it will never turn back on with 12v. I have tried ignition sense(pin 24), Pin 25, and the main power. Put the head back on and the radio turns back on. Is there any way to trick the radio into thinking the control head is there? The radio is powered through pin 25 so the radio is always on regardless of on/off switch position when equipped with a control head.

The M7100 will run for weeks at a time with no control head. Power cycling as no effect on it. Once it wants to stop working, a quick power cycle will not restore the radio. Once plugging the control head back in, the radio will work again. This radio is also powered through pin 25.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Pin 14 is the CTR ON signal, put that to ground or short it to pin 12 to power on the radio. It is the contact that gets open/closed when you click the volume knob on and off on the control head.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Let me look around. I think I have an extra control head or two that I can give you a really good price on.

The power-up sequence really requires a control head. A command has to be sent from the CH to the logic board and you're not going to replace that with a simple voltage input.

I'm surprised the radio will run once the CH is removed while running.

Status
Not open for further replies.