Kenner Public Safety system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5pck

I read in the database that this system is "depreciated and may no longer be in use".
This may be true. Then again, maybe not.
Remember that NOPD switched to trunking years ago but still kept a couple of the 460 mHz freqs. in use. Kenner may be doing the same. I haven't listened to them in a while, but may do some listening later this week to see if there is any traffic on the system.

If it were up to me, I would keep the system in the database as long as they have the license.

By the way, a few of you may have already noticed this, then again some may not. Since KPD has moved to the JPSO digital system, you may feel that you can no longer listen in. This could be an incorrect assumption.
I haven't tried it yet, but may do so when in the area tomorrow. If you are interested in monitoring the Kenner Police Dept. but don't have a digital scanner, you can should be able to monitor them with an analog scanner.

When monitoring the JPSO system, I notice that on my PRO-96, KPD talkgroups are displayed as "MO" (Motorola system) not "DG"(digital). So in theory, one could program the JPSO digital system into an analog scanner, such as the PRO-93, and scan in the closed mode. Program only the KPD talkgroup ID's in the scan lists. That should keep the annoying digital noise from opening the squelch.
I will let you know if it works maybe tomorrow afternoon.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The Kenner TRS is no longer in use as a separate system, it is now a integrated site on the JPSO system. Take a look there to see it.

kd5pck

I guess I will have to dig through my printouts and hope that I still have the frequency list for the KPD system. Like I posted above, as long as they have the license for those freqs, I think that it may be worth it to keep them programmed into a scanner. You never know when they may come alive. Seeing as every agency here in southeast LA is looking for backup comms. since Katrina, it would be dumb of them to throw out any old equipment that they still have laying around. I would much rather see KPD switch to their original 800 system that they had, rather than CB and marine band radios like other officials are planning to do in an emergency situation.
As far as my theory about monitoring KPD with an analog scanner, I tried it today and it works.

---Scott

aj

Premium Subscriber
You can monitor KPD on their old analog system. ( 852.78750, 853.78750, 867.77500, 868.52500) using the following talkgroups 54480, 54512, 54544, 54576. You can also monitor KPD on the JPSO digital system using the same talkgroups.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I fail to understand what I have explained wrong above.

I will try again.

The Kenner Public Safety System (SysID: 602b) is no longer on the air. The frequencies that Kenner PS TRS used are now part (Site# 4) of the JPSO system (SysID: 7709). So instead of grousing about the KPS system not being in the DB, why don't you just add the frequencies to your JPSO system.

What we, as administrators would like some verification on is this:
  • Are the same two frequencies still being used as CCh's?
  • Have they added any frequencies to allow for the possible added traffic from JPSO units?
If anyone can answer those questions, please submit the data on the Submit Tab at the JPSO System Page.

kd5pck

Lou,
I had to go back and re-read what you had written and then compare the changes in the database.
Consider it understood.
Sorry about the chaos.
I will try to monitor the freqs. tomorrow to see if any are still in use as a control channel.

kd5pck

Lou,
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know that," The Kenner site is reporting itself to be Site #4 on the network." ?

Are you receiving this with some software that decoded the system information? If so, what are you using and where can I get it?
Thanks!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
kd5pck said:
Lou,
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you know that," The Kenner site is reporting itself to be Site #4 on the network." ?

Are you receiving this with some software that decoded the system information? If so, what are you using and where can I get it?
Thanks!
It was done with Trunker. I didn't do it, but a very reliable source (lives in Metairie) of mine did it while in Kenner the other day. :cool:

Take a look in the Wiki for information on trunking decoders, especially on the Trunked Radio Decoders page. Also visit and skim through the Trunker/Etrunker/T4Win Decoders forum for hints/tips and other's questions. We can always use a new person running analysis on systems. ;)

kd5pck

Thanks for the info. I will checck it all out more in depth tomorrow morning. Rough day at work today, so I am going to sleep now.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.