Kent County and MPSCS article

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack3726

ScanKent, with no towers south of downtown is that going to cause any issues. Do you know if this will be a phased in approach while they switch or everything at once. Will other agencies be on this system then over time or just KCSD.

lakeboatnut

ScanKent, with no towers south of downtown is that going to cause any issues. Do you know if this will be a phased in approach while they switch or everything at once. Will other agencies be on this system then over time or just KCSD.

I don't think the strategy for the switch has been developed yet, but it is my understanding all police and fire agencies in Kent county will be on it. I am curious how fire dispatching will be accomplished. Anyone in counties with a similar system have any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dev

I have heard from a credible source that there will be about 8 new towers build and added to the MPSCS system for Kent County. They are looking at 98% operability with portables.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I have heard from a credible source that there will be about 8 new towers build and added to the MPSCS system for Kent County. They are looking at 98% operability with portables.

98% coverage with portables? In building? Worn on the hip w/ shoulder mics?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
If their vendor told them they would get 98% portable coverage, he's smoking crack.
If they are expecting 98% portable coverage, they're smoking crack.

opps2016

Why is this? Detroit's system has 98 percent portable coverage! Wayne co isn't far behind...

If their vendor told them they would get 98% portable coverage, he's smoking crack.
If they are expecting 98% portable coverage, they're smoking crack.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
In rural areas maybe, but I highly doubt that in an area with several large buildings, that you would be able to achieve that. There is a tower about 2 miles from the Battle Creek PD station, and guess where the portables don't work? Same with the Federal Center, the hospital, and most of the schools. When worn on the belt, the body absorbs a good share of the RF energy being transmitted. They can pretty much guarantee 98% mobile coverage, but they can't come close to that with portables without a lot of BDA's or similar equipment, which of course drives up cost.

opps2016

Well Detroit and Western Wayne County clearly isn't rural and I assure you there system design is based on portable coverage. Simulcast systems are typically designed for penetration, you can't compare a simulcast system to a standalone tower site. The original system the state built in the 90's was based on mobile coverage, however when these simulcast systems came along it changed the game. When the coverage testing is done its with a portable on the hip. Those areas you name do sometimes require a BDA.

In rural areas maybe, but I highly doubt that in an area with several large buildings, that you would be able to achieve that. There is a tower about 2 miles from the Battle Creek PD station, and guess where the portables don't work? Same with the Federal Center, the hospital, and most of the schools. When worn on the belt, the body absorbs a good share of the RF energy being transmitted. They can pretty much guarantee 98% mobile coverage, but they can't come close to that with portables without a lot of BDA's or similar equipment, which of course drives up cost.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
They can pretty much guarantee 98% mobile coverage, but they can't come close to that with portables without a lot of BDA's or similar equipment, which of course drives up cost.

Haha yep all you need is 50+ towers countywide and a money pit. *cough* Oakland's Open Sky *cough*

kasparek

Premium Subscriber
Hearing GRPD F3 North on MPSCS talkgroup 13097 tonight. Dispatch side only. It's not broadcasting the unit/car side. Might be a temp patch.

YalekW

Ive seen some sources on here that mpscs said they wanted to make a massive overhaul to Phase II while still trying to set everything up for the state. Not sure if it's true, but if it does happen, not sure what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.