Kent county wide fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergg

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have facts about the new VFD dispath system being used. Appears that most all depts are being dispatched on 154.07 Mhz or 151.16 Mhz. Appears only Kentwood, Wyoming, Grandville
and Walker are not using these freqs.

Anyone know which depts are on which or both freqs?

Anyone have the new Fire Tone Outs for these depts?

Is this being set up to go Central Dispatch in the county?

Thanks, Bob

jack3726

Bergg, I don't have any facts but do know that 154.070(North County Fire) and 151.160(South County Fire). 154.370 used to be for wyoming, grandville, kentwood etc. Kent County has not committed to MPSCS that I know of nor do they use it currently that I know of and the biggest leaps that I recall were when the county went with 2 freq's for fire and actually put the units on the repeater tower. I don't recall from what I have read or heard that Kent County was going to go with a regionalized type fire dispatch. I would be interested to know what you find out though.

lakeboatnut

There has been talk for many years about central dispatch in Kent county. Perhaps adding the second freq. And repeaters are part of the needed upgrades for this. Or it could be that due to a number of departments being dispatched by the county that were formerly dispatched by the Grand Rapids Fire Dept. Was simply to many depts on a single channel. Although it is interesting to note all traffic seems to be simulcast on both freqs. Perhaps dispatch has the ability to suspend this practice if need be.

I have heard that it is Kent Countys intention to use a digital trunked system, perhaps even the MPSCS. However I just read Kent County will have a budget shortfall of over 9 million in 2010. So unless the funding is already in place I wonder if is still possible to do so.

jack3726

It would be probably financially more easily to just hop on the MPSCS bandwagon I would guess, they have the towers, etc. Would be nice to know what is the driving force to convert the county to digital radios.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
MPSCS radios cost a LOT of money annually that their own system would not... I'm not sure it's cheaper to jump on the MPSCS bandwagon.

weisej

Sounds like in the link jack3726 posted there will be a lot more calls sent by computer rather then over the radios.

rwerkema

hi am a fire frighter that use that system they split the county in two section east and south they went to a repeater so you can hear bouth the trucks and dispatcher thats why they use two channels so they wont get so busy hopes that help

bergg

Premium Subscriber
rwekema, as a fire fighter, do you know the numbering system of the depts in Kent county?

Some now use a number instead of the usual "Plainfield car 2" Some just use 1751 etc.

Also do you know which frequency is used to tone out each dept? Some use 151.16 East
and some use the old 154.07.

Thanks to everyone for their great input to my questions. Bergg

Status
Not open for further replies.