Kentucky Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
All right everyone!
Let's here where in KY you are and what you monitor....
Myself, I lived in Richmond (Just south of Lexington) for about a year then moved to Prestonsburg (Floyd County) before moving back to NC a few months ago...even though I no longer live in KY I still keep up with frequency/scanner info for the state!

Happy Monitoring!
Marshall Sherard, KE4ZNR
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com

edited Aug 2006 to reflect move back to North Carolina

Last edited:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
with apologies....

work in lexington, but drive all over central and eastern kentucky...

monitor thirty centrtal kentucky counties--police, fire, sheriff, ems, etc. when in range (have all counties east of i-65 programmed into various v-folders for use as needed)

pro 92/pro95/pro96

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
I live in Central KY and mainly monitor...
Local public service (Marion, Washington, Nelson and Taylor Counties)
Federal agencies
KSP (Astro Saber III)
and usually keep a couple of scanners searching for new or unlicensed frequencies.

ShawnCowden

When in kentucky i listen to London PD laurel co sheriff, clay co so, manchester pd, knox co so, barbourville pd, corbin pd, whitley co so, and all the other regional police, ems and rescue freqs no ksp yet because of no digital scanner also i monitor and tx on skywarn ham freqs. & emergency ham freqs.

Does digital scanners do good on ksp repeaters ??
Good coverage ??

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
ShawnCowden said:
Does digital scanners do good on ksp repeaters ??
Good coverage ??

I have a Pro96 and it does just fine picking up KSP...from here in Richmond I monitor Post 12 (Richmond) and Post 7 (Lexington) daily....and I have family in Prestonsburg so when I head there I monitor Post 9 (Pikeville)...BTW: does anyone know how the KSP numbers their units/sectors? Still trying to figure that part out...I have emailed 2 different troopers off the KSP website and have gotten no response (not really surprised)...I am working on setting up a Central KY info website that can be a one stop source for all monitoring info for this area...
Hope this helps out Shawn!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall Sherard, KE4ZNR

Last edited:

firemedic2150

Database Admin
KSP Numbers

KSP Troopers go by their badge number, they go back and fill retired numbers from time to time.
It has been awhile but I think below 100 are capt's and higher,100-200 are line supervisors Lt's and Sgt's and 200-999 are road troopers, with no real pattern to numbering statewide.

Anyone ever listen to KVE ?

Mark Mc.
Transplanted to TN.

ShawnCowden

detectives for the london post were 11XX units a few dets were anyhow when they were still analog. my cousin john root is unit # 476 and works for london post 11 driving a speed trap car camero i believe.

sound_efex

my scanners are in princeton.
i monitor all local police/ems activty, ksp post 1 and 2.

ocasionally listen to local schools, utilities, business, fast food drive thrus if i'm feelin' kinda nerdy, prison, LBL, MVE, air ambulance, vhf/uhf air, P&L r/r.

also monitoring pd/ems/des of the folowiing counties; lyon, trigg, hopkins, christian, livingston, crittenden, marshall, muhlenburg.

catbird

Premium Subscriber
My scanners are in the Paducah area
Born and raised there but live in the Southern tip of Illinois now.
Monitor Posts 1 and 2 in KY as well as District 22 in IL law, fire,EMS and
DES traffic

Richard

CCEMS703

i live in murray and have all ems fire and police/sheirff i also leson to graves county, marshall and i often here houston county in tn, on the Calloway county fire rescue freq. i also have ksp psot one mobile extended 154.66500 but i can only here it if they are about 1 mile away in there patrol car... i guess i have to have a degital scanner befor i can here them well...

ullbergm

I live in Owensboro and i monitor the local PS system and the Evansville, IN system whenever i am over there.

Stickman

Old topic, but I'm new to the board.
The KSP units are numbered 1 to roughly 45 for Command Staff and captains, through 100 for Lieutenants, 101-250 for Sergeants, and 251 through roughly 1200 for Troopers and detectives. 14XX are radio techs, 18XX are arson investigators, with a couple of 18XX being bomb techs. No particular sectors, but most posts are broken into 3 squads for the road units, and each unit is assigned to a county or more than one county in many instances, with the exception being Pike County in the east. It's the largest county in land size, and the busiest in the state for calls for service, so it's broken down into 4 sectors. The digital system is really nice. Very few dead spots that I've ever encountered, and the portables can really take a licking and keep on ticking. I've had mine get knocked around, dropped, banged, even soaked when I fell down in a creek chasing a guy once. The speaker sounded a little weak for an hour or so, but never quit. Sounded fine after it dried out. The system is much better than the analog system I used when I worked at a city dept. in central Ky.
Hope that helps. Nice website here.

Edit: By the way, reporting in from Nicholasville. I don't monitor much anymore. After 8 or 10 hours in the car with a radio, I don't feel like listening when I'm 10-10. Occasionally I'll listen to local sheriff's and pd for something different.

dkpierce

Campbellsville. I monitor Taylor, Green, Adair, Marion Counties mainly. I also hear some traffic from Hart, Washington, Nelson, Boyle, Casey and Russell Counties.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Hi Stickman..... welcome to the forums.... understand the ringing in the ears after a few hours... could you look at the KSP listings and make sure we have them sorted properly? I hear Post 15 in a freq that is listed as Post 7.... you are right, the digital sounds really nice.....

windigofer

May as well sign in :3

Checking in. I monitor mostly the Louisville metro area (Jefferson/Bullitt/Oldham/Spencer/Shelby counties) and some monitoring of surrounding counties in Indiana (Clark/Floyd).

My big project at the moment is identifying a mess of unidentified talkgroups on Louisville's half of the Louisville 2-Way system, then identifying the talkgroups used on the Indiana half *laughs* As a temp assignment job I had just ended, I should have time to do that during the job hunt, fortunately.

Racenut

I am in Bowling Green. I monitor Warren, allen, barren, Butler, Simpson and Logan counties. I have a pro 92b, pro 95, pro 96, pro 97, pro 2053, and a pro 2096.

KR4BD

:lol: I live in Lexington and have been scanning for nearly 35 years. Still have my first scanner---A Regency TMR-8H. Also have three other "antique" Regency Scanners that I enjoy playing with and keeping operational.

I am usually monitoring the Lexington FD which is in the process of changing their system (EDACS) as I write this. Also monitor Lexington PD on VHF (conventional). My favorite scanners for local scanning are the Pro-94 and Pro-2052.

I am also active in Ham Radio with a special interest in the 6 meter and 160 meter bands.

:wink:

gmpreece

Hello from Pike County Ky. I am just getting started, so any help would be appreciated. I currently have two hand held Uniden models, BC92xlt, and BC30. I live on the West Virgina-Kentucky border, and mainly get more from Wv than Ky. Mingo Co Wv 911 has most of the action that I can tell, and the Pike Co local law enforcement comes in second,again any help with anything is appreciated. Thanks.

Dummyproof

Georgetown and Scott County here.
Have had scanners for a few years, previously was living in and monitoring North San Diego County.
Use mainly a Pro-95 now.

Great site here btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.