Kenwood 760G and radio skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhattala

Ok i have a Kenwood 760G radio in my police car that has a TON of radio skip when im near buildings and certin areas. I have checked connections the microphone and everything that I can think of so i turn to yall. My partner has an identical car with the same exact radio and anntena and his doesnt have any skip. I have tried switching out radios so im figuring maybe antenna but i dont know. Is there something i missed?

gcgrotz

If he doesn't hear "skip" when he is in the same location, since you already said he has the same radio and antenna, it is probably the radio. I would guess maybe a bad IF filter. It is probably not skip but interference.

Also, did you swap radios with his and see if it follows your radio into his vehicle? Then it becomes his problem! No, seriously, that would tell you if it is that radio or not. Also check your antenna mounts although that would usually show up as a transmit problem. Compare the grounding between the 2 vehicles too.

rhattala

Is there any other ground i should check? does the microphone matter? and i have already tried a different radio. and come to think of it, it was the exact radio my partner had.

Last edited:

Linn

I have had a similiar problem in a car I used to drive. Check and make sure the metal microphone clip is making contact with the metal holder. In a car I used to drive I had to adjust the microphone clip to make sure it made good contact with the metal holder. Once I did that the problem stopped.

Linn
www.texascop.blogspot.com

N4UYV_Al

Your receiving 'skip' & he isnt?? your PL could be disabled or, you just have a better receiver than he does...Maybe his radio might be alittle more 'deaf' than yours...lol..
Like the others said before me, could be interference too...

Status
Not open for further replies.