Kenwood APRS beacon after PTT feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Damn, I really thought there was an option to send an APRS packet beacon when using the PTT. I am unable to find what I thought was there in the latest Yaesu and Kenwood handhelds.
Kenwood TM-D710 and TM-D710G -- Menu 611, Packet Transmit Method = PTT
Kenwood TH-D72 -- Menu 3D0, Packet Transmit Method = PTT
Kenwood TH-D74 -- Menu 510, Beacon Transmit Method = PTT

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Kenwood TM-D710 and TM-D710G -- Menu 611, Packet Transmit Method = PTT
Kenwood TH-D72 -- Menu 3D0, Packet Transmit Method = PTT
Kenwood TH-D74 -- Menu 510, Beacon Transmit Method = PTT
Fantastic! I have three out of those four radios. I knew I had observed that. I don't have those radios in front of me, but I searched the D74A manual and I must have overlooked it. I probably did not look at the correct manual. Now I wonder if that feature is also on my Yaesu GPS handhelds and I am overlooking it. I have an Icom 31 hanging around I might as well check too.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Fantastic! I have three out of those four radios. I knew I had observed that. I don't have those radios in front of me, but I searched the D74A manual and I must have overlooked it. I probably did not look at the correct manual. Now I wonder if that feature is also on my Yaesu GPS handhelds and I am overlooking it. I have an Icom 31 hanging around I might as well check too.
May have to be careful with PTT as may send packets more often than what is required.

AK9R

Super Moderator
May have to be careful with PTT as may send packets more often than what is required.
The Kenwoods with this feature will not transmit an APRS beacon any faster than the Initial Interval, even in PTT mode.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
The Kenwoods with this feature will not transmit an APRS beacon any faster than the Initial Interval, even in PTT mode.
But if set to less than 1 min. could create problems. I still see a lot of comments that beaconing is far too many on some APRS beaconing stations. I generally use 3 mins. which doesn't seem to cause problems.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If one is going to coordinate others to beacon on the same repeater input freq. using PTT for an event, I have a feeling they will tell mobiles and handhelds how often they should beacon as one of those is going to be moving faster and farther than the other (some may never move). One will also probably need to tell them how to configure their radios as well, if not do that directly before the event. Here is something to consider. If a particular station/person does not transmit that often and is in a vehicle, how far away could they be from their last transmission location? Could that be a problem?

The premise/request of this thread is unique and not normal. APRS should be exactly what the acronym stands for. I recommend leaving the repeater for voice and use a RX only setup to map people using a different frequency. If everyone needs to see where everyone is at, then setup a digipeater instead of a RX only station.

AK9R

Super Moderator
If one is going to coordinate others to beacon on the same repeater input freq...
That's not the way the Beacon Transmit Method = PTT works on the Kenwoods.

Let's say you have a Kenwood APRS radio set up with APRS running on one "side" of the radio and tuned to an APRS frequency (it could be the national APRS frequency or a special event APRS frequency). The other side of the radio is set for the voice simplex or repeater frequency that you plan to use. You key up and transmit on the side of the radio that's set up for the voice frequency. After you unkey, the radio automatically sends a beacon on the other side of the radio that is running APRS. The radio does not beacon on the voice frequency.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That's not the way the Beacon Transmit Method = PTT works on the Kenwoods.
How dare you provide factual and informative feedback that corrects my speculation of how that feature works. I cannot believe your concern for others that may read this thread versus my incorrect guessing. The audacity! I don't know how you got to be "~super moderator~", but I doubt that moniker will end anytime soon. Good day to you sir, good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.