• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Atlas

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Hi all, looking for a list of P25 Ph2 compatible radios that will pair with an Atlas system. Any help would be appreciated. They don't have to be Kenwood, just trying to figure out whats available for a volunteer fire dept.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On the Kenwood side, NX-5000 is the only current product that will do Phase 2.
There was one older product that did Phase 2, but I think it was 7-800MHz only.

EFJohnson has a few. VP8000 is a nice multband portable that was recently released and is getting excellent initial reviews. Plus, it's about half the price of an APX-8000

Might help if you were a bit more specific of what you are looking for.

Truth is, if whoever set up the Atlas system did it with having other manufacturer radios on the system in mind, it should not matter what brand you use. Radio systems running just the standard APCO P25 phase 2 standard setup should accept any radio running APCO P25 phase 2 system.

The only real answer that matters would be that of the system admin. If they are going to limit radios to models they've confirmed/tested on their system, they'll be able to tell you:
Which one will work
Which one they will support
Which one they will program to work on their system.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
The system hasn't been built yet, still in the planning stages. Sys admin has said needs to be phase 2 and OTAP capable, but I'm having a heck of a time finding radios that say they can do PH2. Last I knew they were going with the standard to allow any brand.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Atlas is P-25 compliant (asterisk here), but as mcckenna said, the ones deploying the system should be the first source of information as to what subscribers they will or will not provision, what feature sets are required, and more importantly, who will be authorized to program subscribers on said system.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The system hasn't been built yet, still in the planning stages. Sys admin has said needs to be phase 2 and OTAP capable, but I'm having a heck of a time finding radios that say they can do PH2. Last I knew they were going with the standard to allow any brand.

Finding Phase 2 capable radios should not be an issue.

What I would be asking is if the system administrator is going to allow you to program radios on the system. Not all do. They are very particular about how that gets done. Having the system key and any encryption data is usually very tightly controlled and a good system manager is not going to let anyone mess with their system.
If not, then you'll need to abide by whatever brand they have software/cables for, as well as what precanned code plugs they have.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Its been said that if they are ph2 and adhere to the standard they will be allowed on the system. I'm just trying to find a list of said compatible radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Its been said that if they are ph2 and adhere to the standard they will be allowed on the system. I'm just trying to find a list of said compatible radios.
The work has already been done:

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Is OTAP and OTAR compatibility an issue? Seems like I'd want to stick to Kenwood/EFJ Viking subscribers. I'm admittedly biased.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Is OTAP and OTAR compatibility an issue? Seems like I'd want to stick to Kenwood/EFJ Viking subscribers. I'm admittedly biased.
Not that I'm aware of they just stated they want them to be so they can push updates from the center, otherwise depts would have to manually do it everytime they change something.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Is OTAP and OTAR compatibility an issue? Seems like I'd want to stick to Kenwood/EFJ Viking subscribers. I'm admitted
OTAP is another "hook" to ensure you don't stray and buy someone else' subscriber. No way you can OTAP an APX with EFJ Armada, or use RM or Radio Central to write to a Harris. Each vendor keeps you nice and in their walled garden. It is that way on purpose.