• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood Dispatch Console Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

360mk2

Hello, We just started migrating our equipment from Motorola XTL-2500 and HT1250 Portables to the new Kenwood 5000 Series radios.

we are currently dispatching via a Motorola Astro Spectra L99DX+259L Consolette that seems to be older than the hills themselves. We are still operating in analog at this point, my sales guy has recommended a Zetron system but at 20K+ that's not really an option for us. What options do i have?

LTR

We replaced an older Zetron console with a new Telex IP console, and it works well. We have both P25 and NexEdge interfaced into it just fine. Telex does direct interface into trunked systems, or you can use an IP-224, (which is a similar box to the Zetron iRIM), to interface into the 5000 series radios. The cost was less than a new Zetron console.

PACNWDude

+1 on Telex/Bosch Communications and the IP-224 Interface. C-Soft software, IP-224 interface boxes seem to work reliably with many radios. We used them for Motorola XTL5000, CDM series mobiles, Vertex VX-3200's, Icom aviation and marine radio interfaces and some older Kenwood 941's. I am amazed your seller did not push for the Zetron MAX Radio Dispatch at $80-100k though.

Analog only, an old Zetron 4010 console may work, however those are considered "legacy" systems even though they are still making them now. I think it has to do with the Windows XP or DOS for the older ones needed for programming. Which Zetron system was quoted for $20k+, that seems pretty cheap for a dispatch console? Unless it was a 4010.

Budget is always tight, and all companies making dispatch gear are raising their prices. The solution that worked for us was Telex as we did not need software updates or more licenses and fees to get everything to work. Almost everybody is going to licenses and fees for functions you may want to enable on your hardware that was already stretching the budget to begin with.

LTR

I don't know much about it, but would the Kenwood KAS-20 dispatch solution work for you?

360mk2

I don't know much about it, but would the Kenwood KAS-20 dispatch solution work for you?

KAS-20 seems like it might be a solid option, anyone know how robust the recording feature is? I need something that will record our radio traffic along with incoming phone calls to the station.

We are currently running a multi site conventional radio system. I'm looking at replacing our repeaters and going to a Conventional IP Network system. Will this work well with the KAS-20?

Anyone have pricing information on the KAS-20?? I have checked my normal sources and haven't been able to locate.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KAS-20 would work, but if you are trying to record multiple channels plus phone lines, you'll need a separate system for that. If any of this is public safety, then you'll need a real recording system with time stamping, etc.

We've got a Zetron 4048 system that's been pretty solid, but those are many years old now, and you'd probably want something newer.

360mk2

KAS-20 would work, but if you are trying to record multiple channels plus phone lines, you'll need a separate system for that. If any of this is public safety, then you'll need a real recording system with time stamping, etc.

We've got a Zetron 4048 system that's been pretty solid, but those are many years old now, and you'd probably want something newer.

On my current system we are constantly having to switch channels based on our location and have to constantly relay to dispatch what channel we are on so we can communicate. From what I can tell all of our sites have the same RX frequency but have different TX frequencies. My main goal is to eliminate changing channels. We also have to replace our almost dead Motorola Astro dispatch console….. With very limited funds.

I have to admit I’m a little confused when Kenwood uses the terms “conventional IP network, NXDN Conventional and digital conventional Ip network.” I understand the theory of connecting my repeaters via an IP connection. Is there a way to use the KAS-20 coupled with some sort of IP link/ mixed mode repeater? About half my fleet is NXDN capable.

I’m not trying to become an expert on this overnight, I just want to ensure we spend our money the very best way possible and be able to tell when a sales guy is trying to sell me something we don’t need.
If the KAS-20 can record all of the radio traffic that will be terrific. I have located another good option for my Mitel phone system.

Thanks for the help

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Probably an NXDN multi-site system would be a solution. IP between the sites and the portable/mobile radios can be set up to select the best site based on signal strength.

Not something easy to do, but finding a good Kenwood shop or a consultant would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.