Kenwood: Kenwood Dual Bander TM-V7 won't TX on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPR1981

I was gifted Kenwood FM Dual Bander TM-V7 recently. My plan is to use it for GMRS. It is programmed to the previous owner's preferred frequencies. I went into VFO and set it to 462.725 (GMRS channel 22 we use) and I key the mic and only get a beep, yet if I key the mic on the previous owner's frequencies, it will transmit just fine.

I don't have a manual for this radio. Is there a shortcut to be able to completely reset this radio to factory specs? Or, alternatively, anyone have any idea why it won't transmit on GMRS 22?

FPR1981

It was free, and I realize what it is. Will it transmit on GMRS? I'm a licensee and nothing says I cannot legally operate on that band.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep, sounds like it's working perfectly.

FCC GMRS rules require a GMRS radio to have FCC Part 95 certification. Ham radios don't have that, and won't due to various design issues.

You have a perfectly good 2 meter/70 centimeter analog radio. Enjoy it for what it is.
Now, go and get a proper GMRS radio.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
It was free, and I realize what it is. Will it transmit on GMRS? I'm a licensee and nothing say I cannot legally operate on that band.

Wrong. The FCC says you cannot legally operate a transceiver without a part 95 authorization on GMRS (part 95 frequencies).

FPR1981

That answers my question.

It was a freebie. And I'll be putting it up for sale now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It was free, and I realize what it is.

Good, then you realize it's an amateur radio.

Will it transmit on GMRS? I'm a licensee and nothing says I cannot legally operate on that band.

No. Doesn't matter if you have a license. The radio will not transmit on GMRS frequencies as it does not have any type certification on the transmitter. By design it will only transmit in the amateur radio bands. There are ways to 'trick' it, but that requires internal modifications and results in it still being an amateur radio that does not have Part 95 certification.

FPR1981

That's exactly the answer I was seeking to get.

And that being said, it's for sale now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That answers my question.

It was a freebie. And I'll be putting it up for sale now.

Probably a good idea.

I will say that I've got a 27 year old amateur radio on e-Bay right now. Last I looked, the bidding was up above $500.00. Hammies will pay a ton for old radios for some odd reason. Put it on e-Bay, you'll make a ton of money, and then you can use that to pay for a good GMRS radio.

FPR1981

It was given to me and I planned to sell it, unless it was capable of transmitting on GMRS, in which case I was going to make use of it for that purpose. I knew I'd get an answer posting here.

So yeah, for sale.

FPR1981

If anyone is interested in it, inbox me a reasonable offer, otherwise she's going on eBay tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.