Kenwood: Kenwood FM Dual Bander TM-710GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4ABU

Hi

This is interesting. We all know there is a chip shortage. And there is a shortage of new Kenwood's. I think The DTMF chip is part of Kenwood's problem.

The TM-D710GA is being sold again BUT serial number B8610000, and above no longer has the DTMF decode ability so the wireless remote in crossband wont work because they can't get that chip.

So if you buy one just be aware.

Bedford

n5ims

This has been the case for several years for the TM-D710GA and TM-V71A. I'm not sure what serial number the decode ability was removed on the V71A.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Interesting that MTC Radio has these, but HRO, Gigaparts, and DX Engineering don't. I wonder which turnip truck Richard might have found these on.

KQ4ABU

Likely to keep from having to put a big disclaimer on their webpage. The problem will come when they hit the secondary market and a known feature is missing when they try there new to them radio and the feature is missing. That is why I mentioned it. Used radio market. Soon you will not know what you are buying unless you check the serial and he did disclose it.. The others possibly thought better of it.

mrkelso

Hi

This is interesting. We all know there is a chip shortage. And there is a shortage of new Kenwood's. I think The DTMF chip is part of Kenwood's problem.

The TM-D710GA is being sold again BUT serial number B8610000, and above no longer has the DTMF decode ability so the wireless remote in crossband wont work because they can't get that chip.

So if you buy one just be aware.

Bedford

I have B9110053 brand new in the box, is this one of the problem radio's? If so what exactly is the problem?

Thanks

KQ4ABU

I have B9110053 brand new in the box, is this one of the problem radio's? If so what exactly is the problem?

Thanks
Yes your serial is above the one they told dealers the feature you quoted in my post is no longer in the radio. I cant answer the last part you need to decide if that's a problem. All the info is there

n5ims

Thanks

Yes, it's one of the radios mentioned in this thread. As far as there being a problem, there really isn't a problem it's just that Kenwood has removed a little used feature from the D710GA and V71A that allows folks to use touch tones to control a limited set of radios remotely.

KQ4ABU

Even in radio there is division. Sad. What matters to one does not matter to the other. My posting was not about what individuals thought about the feature. It's the fact that feature is not included because of a chip shortage and the folks it's does matter to now have to check the serial to know what the radio offers if they are buying it used.

So I say that a second time. Please start your own thread if you want to bicker or shout out what your opinion of the feature is. Thank you

N4DJC

The B86 SN was built June 2018, well before the AKM chip factory fire in January of 2020..

Status
Not open for further replies.