• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood install in Hummer H3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremym70

Wouldn't be caught dead in one! It's for a customer. If I had that kind of money I would by myself a Subaru WRX STI and still have money left over.

Astrak

Oh ok, I was just wondering. I was gonna say get a Jeep, but as far as the H3 install sorry I can't help the most I can say is GM has a lot of tricky wiring in their vehicles and it sucks installing aftermarket stuff as I have found out with my Cadillac.

kf4lne

GM? Tricky wireing? **looks in Haynes Manual** Out of all the GM cars I have owned I have never had a problem installing comm gear. As for the H3, put a cig lighter plug on the radio, slap a mag mount antenna on the roof and tell them you will install it when they come back with something respectable like a Geo Metro or something better than a Hummer.

Astrak

kf4lne said:
GM? Tricky wireing? **looks in Haynes Manual** Out of all the GM cars I have owned I have never had a problem installing comm gear. As for the H3, put a cig lighter plug on the radio, slap a mag mount antenna on the roof and tell them you will install it when they come back with something respectable like a Geo Metro or something better than a Hummer.
Maybe it's just the Cadillac then, I don't know but I do know my Chrysler was a hell of a lot easier when it came to wiring.

kf4lne

Its just the Cadillac. Now for a Chrysler, I have a Dodge Stratus (Chrysler Cirrus)and thats a serious PITA to install radio gear in. I wonder if I burn that car if my insurance will cover it...

VernM

If the BS has snow died down and you are serious about the installation, you might call/write GM customer service and get their service sheet on customer radio add-ons. It is model specfic and quite comprehensive. You may have to persist with whomever answers the phone first and assure them there is such a beast. They are written up by the Delco Division to cover installations in public service vehicles of two-way equipment, but should answer all your questions too.

Thayne

I think Hummer means something else nowadays than it did in 1972-- :twisted:

Daiyon

Just Curious

"I hate that they refer to anything other than the H1 as a “Hummer”. Everything else is just a GM pickup chassis and has nothing to do with an actual Hummer or HUMVEE.
prcguy"

I ran across this thread, and the quoted post above in particular, and have always been curious as to why this is put in context as a bad thing, and not ever referred as a very intelligible move on the automakers part. You take a already mass produced bunch of parts and components and use those creatively in as many products as you can, smart! And to the end consumer, this is great, we pay less as less R&D dollars go to the new product, in this case the H3, awesome imo!

There are numerous succesfull examples of this everywhere you look these days, some go unnoticed regularly, but look at another big one, Apple, they now use Intel chips instead of paying to continually upgrade the RISC based processor's. Exact same concept GM uses with the "pseudo-hummers".

Lastly, what's so bad about the hummer "Knock Offs", actually I don't care much for the way H2's look, love H3's, none the less, just about every other SUV type vehicle has an androgynous look, ie they have no muscle to them imo, or not much. There is certainly a clear exception in the Jeep! But the numbers of unique looking vehicles in Hummers category are few, it's nice to have options.

Thanks!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.