• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood KPG-D3N Freezing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehoose2700

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my D3N software (Version 1.40). It seems like I can do all the configuration just fine, but when I go to read or write the radio, or click on something such as Preferences > COM Port, the program freezes. and just makes the computer error ding when I try to click anything else. I have to then use END TASK to force-quit the program.

This problem started within the past week or so, and just before this I was successfully reading and writing radios. Would this be a software issue or a computer issue? I haven't had freezing issues with any other computer programs. I'm willing to potentially uninstall and reinstall, but I'd need some help with that so I don't screw up authentication through the LMC and have to purchase another license! :)

Thanks for any help!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The D3n and D1n softwares have always been problematic. I was programming some NX-5700's and NX-5900's last week and would periodically have to kill the software and restart it.

I'd bet that something changed, either a Windoze update or something.

D3N is up to version 3.30 now, so probably a good time to contact your Kenwood dealer and get updated software.

joehoose2700

Ok, thank you. This is the first time I've had to upgrade the software - should I expect to be charged? or is this like a software update from Windows or Apple where it's just included?

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It doesn't cost the dealer anything. They download it off the internal Kenwood "MyTools" website and send it to you.

If they want to charge you for it, let me know and I'll get you a copy.

joehoose2700

He's on D3 which is still 3.30

OP: I have a dropbox link I just sent to my customers with the updated software if needed, if your dealer doesn't make good.

Hello,
My dealer did send me a file but in the email he said "This is what we'll be sending you: Works with KPG-D3N Version 3.30 or later, will not work with KPG-D3N V3.20 or earlier."

My version is 1.40 - does that mean the software update he sent won't work? Is there a way to get an older update that I can install before I install the newest version?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hello,
My dealer did send me a file but in the email he said "This is what we'll be sending you: Works with KPG-D3N Version 3.30 or later, will not work with KPG-D3N V3.20 or earlier."

My version is 1.40 - does that mean the software update he sent won't work? Is there a way to get an older update that I can install before I install the newest version?

The dealer was referring to the radio firmware. The newer software releases had some major changes that make it non-compatible with older radio firmware versions. You should ask your dealer for updated radio firmware also.

joehoose2700

It appears I successfully upgraded the program software to 3.30. They also sent NX-3000_K330_C09F which I'm assuming is the firmware for the NX-3000 series. I've never upgraded the firmware and am apprehensive to do so since the email said "do firmware upgrade at your own risk." lol. Can someone share the steps for upgrading firmware? I know this may not be the most appropriate place for that - feel free to send me a message.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Updating firmware is simple with Kenwood. No need to be worried. Just follow the directions in the firmware update program. Easy peasy

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, not a big deal to upgrade the firmware in the radio.

As with any radio programming, the very first thing you do is to read the file of the radio and save a copy of it, preferably in multiple places.
Once you've done that, go back and do it again.

You'd be surprised the number of times you'll read about people on this site that start messing with firmware/programming info and completely ignore that.
Changing firmware won't screw up the radio file, but the "at your own risk" part is to cover Kenwood incase you do something silly while upgrading your radio. None the less, always read the file and save it before doing anything with your radio.

I do firmware updates all the time, it's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.