Kenwood Memory Control Software and Windowsd 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alligator24

I picked up two Kenwood TH-D72A radios, one for myself and one for my newly licensed son. We wanted to use the free Kenwood software to program the radios, but we cannot get the software to install in Windows 8.1. After looking at the Kenwood site, they mention nothing about Windows 8 in general, which makes me think it isn't compatible with it.

So we also tried to install the software using Windows 7 compatibility settings (which supposedly is supported by Kenwood), but that failed as well.

Next, I tried Kenwood's "Contact Us" web page. Oops, server error and the form won't submit. Makes me start to regret switching from my VX-8DR to this Kenwood now.

Any other suggestions, or am I stuck?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I picked up two Kenwood TH-D72A radios, one for myself and one for my newly licensed son. We wanted to use the free Kenwood software to program the radios, but we cannot get the software to install in Windows 8.1. After looking at the Kenwood site, they mention nothing about Windows 8 in general, which makes me think it isn't compatible with it.

So we also tried to install the software using Windows 7 compatibility settings (which supposedly is supported by Kenwood), but that failed as well.

Next, I tried Kenwood's "Contact Us" web page. Oops, server error and the form won't submit. Makes me start to regret switching from my VX-8DR to this Kenwood now.

Any other suggestions, or am I stuck?

While I do learn to program my ham gear, software is preferred for entering data.

I use RT Systems v4.5. Being able to drag and drop across radio types is handy. While the cables are proprietary, they work. I did have have a faulty cable out of the box for the TM-V71, it was replaced, no charge, no questions asked. Only that you return the faulty cable. Great customer service.

I bought RT software for the following radios: VX-170, FT-277, FT-8800, TM-V71a, and IC-92ad. If I ever decide to get a TH-72ad I will also get the RT software for it as well.

I do not know a lot about Chirp, although I have used it for a Baofeng; it is different. Im sure I would like it, but I have not used it enough to form an opinion, either good or bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LtDoc

I can't say anything about Windows *, I don't use it. I can say that the Kenwood software does work with Windows 7, I use it for several Kenwood radios. I think one of the areas that 'catches' people is the port used, serial or USB. That's one of the things to check.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

RBMTS

Alligator24 -
If you have any PC security programs for virus or firewall, try turning them off before you install the new program. If you still have problems make sure to change the security settings for Win7/8 to low. Yes I know that these programs are there to protect your system but the install program might be trying to make a system call that your security software will not allow and thus the installation might "hang".

You don't say specifically what type of error you are receiving other than the software will not install. My guess is that something is stopping the install. If you can share with us some additional details we might be able to help further.

Status
Not open for further replies.