• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood / Motorola Interopability

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
Our Sheriff's Department recently went to a 2 slot DMR/Analog 12.5khz repeater. The mobiles are Motorola XPR 2500s i think. Portables are Kenwood NX-5200s and our dispatch Control radios are Kenwood NX-5700s. How can Kenwood and Motorola radios inter operate since they have difference emission codes?

FYI: Sheriff says "I dont want to be tied down to one radio brand" so thats why we went mixed DMR because he liked motorola but some of the other departments are Kenwood fans.

n5ims

Since DMR is a standard, unless you activate some proprietary extension they should interoperate just fine. In the ham world for example, we have Kenwoods, Motorolas, TYTs, AnyTones and other brands talking with each other just fine on DMR. Some of the repeaters are Kenwood, some are Motorola, and some are BridgeCom. Many hams also use one of the various hotspots (a low power RF to internet link) that works with them all as well. Often a hotspot can be configured to work with various protocols (such as DMR, P25, D-Star, C4FM, etc.) so for example, their C4FM handheld can be used to talk on a DMR talkgroup to allow them to use a radio they already have to explore the alternate digital protocols (well, those that have internet links available anyway). The hotspot will need to be configured to do the translation, but they do work just fine for their somewhat limited functionality.

What the Sheriff says is pretty good advice. Once they lock themselves down to a single brand, the money starts flowing since that brand knows that they got you and can then start selling you expensive add-ons. The big key there is when the salesman calls with some exciting add-on you remind them that it simply has to work with all of the other brands just as easily and at no additional cost as it works with the brand the salesman is pushing and if not then no sale will possibly happen.

Last edited:
Hytera uses 7K60FXD for data and 7K60FXW for data and voice. Motorola uses 7K60FXE for voice and D for data. I'm not familiar with Kenwood's types, does your license have both?

The list below is from the EWA.
7K60F1E - Voice
7K60FXE - Voice
7K60F7E - Voice
7K60F1D - Data
7K60FXD - Data
7K60F7D - Data
7K60F1W -Voice and Data
7K60FXW - Voice and Data
7K60F7W - Voice and Data

This site has a nice breakdown of modulation types.

Your sheriff is spot on for demanding a choice. I'm not aware of any after action reports that concluded a public safety servant's death was due to to a radio failure. If there are please let me know.

I have read some where a spkr mic cord melted from extreme heat and system failures other than the radio in the person's hand contributed to the deaths. I'm looking for a study done about a group of wildland firefighters whose calls for help were attenuated by the heat and flame surrounding them, anyone here have a copy to share?
(Life was simpler when I only had a 40 meg drive to search.)

Those of us who have dealt with the batwing bandits have probably heard 'you are placing lives at stake' if you choose a non Schaumburg product, (but look who is at 1916 Wright Boulevard).

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a study done about a group of wildland firefighters whose calls for help were attenuated by the heat and flame surrounding them, anyone here have a copy to share?

I have never heard of that one, but there is some info about 800MHz radios being attenuated inside of fire shelters.

I think I got confused between the Yarnell Hill fire report and the masters thesis in post above.
There were some radio issues noted but not any particular failure or attenuation by the fire.

'Radio communications were challenging throughout the incident. Some radios were not
programmed with appropriate tone guards. Crews identified the problem, engaged in
troubleshooting, and developed workarounds so they could communicate using their
radios. Radio traffic was heavy during critical times on the fire.'

Status
Not open for further replies.