• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX 1000 Firmware Problem

swwifty

I have a NX1200-AV-K2 radio that i've run into issues with.

It was running the 1.51 firmware (which apparently didn't support the NXDN conventional license I added to it), so I attempted to upgrade the firmware to 2.13 with a software program my dealer sent to me.

I started the upgrade and it started writing to the radio, but half way through failed and now the radio says "No SYS" on the display and is flashing the LED red.

I'm afraid I've bricked the radio, because I can't read or write anymore in the Kenwood programming software or the firmware software. I tried unplugging the battery, etc but no no luck.

Any ideas, or things to try? I'm not sure why this would have happened, because everything seemed to check out fine. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
BY THE WAY, AVK2 means it was an analog radio maybe with DMR firmware. There is no Analog firmware.
The license manager will or should show you that your NXDN license was loaded correctly.
IF IT DOES NOT SHOW kwd-1200CA, then you do not have the NXDN key installed.

Did you or the dealer install the NXDN KEY?
Also, did you use the KPG-22UM cable or a internet bought cable?

swwifty

BY THE WAY, AVK2 means it was an analog radio maybe with DMR firmware. There is no Analog firmware.
The license manager will or should show you that your NXDN license was loaded correctly.
IF IT DOES NOT SHOW kwd-1200CA, then you do not have the NXDN key installed.

Did you or the dealer install the NXDN KEY?
Also, did you use the KPG-22UM cable or a internet bought cable?

I installed NXDN license loaded successfully no problem.

When I was flashing it did say something about DMR->NXDN, which I thought it was just related to the license but maybe it was related to the firmware which caused the issue.

I'm using a internet bought cable of the KPG-22, not the kenwood factory one.

swwifty

View attachment 139288

THIS IS WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT YOU.

PLEASE ADVISE.

They initially sent me the wrong one, which is what I used.

They then sent me the one you took a screenshot of their. The service manual indicates a way to force firmware onto it, but it requires taking the radio apart. I'll likely have to do that, it seems.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
They initially sent me the wrong one, which is what I used.

They then sent me the one you took a screenshot of their. The service manual indicates a way to force firmware onto it, but it requires taking the radio apart. I'll likely have to do that, it seems.
should be able to hook up and hit write

swwifty

Okay, so I tried it again and noticed that it says "Loading" briefly on the radio when I hit write, in the firmware software. The software then errors out and says "Check all connections and com port settings"

dryfb

I had the exact same problem, everything was the same as you described except the radio I got had NXDN when I got it off of ebay but had the DMR firmware. I just kept trying again and again and it finally worked, I also went into device manager and changed what COM port my cable was associated with and after retrying more after that it worked.

swwifty

I had the exact same problem, everything was the same as you described except the radio I got had NXDN when I got it off of ebay but had the DMR firmware. I just kept trying again and again and it finally worked, I also went into device manager and changed what COM port my cable was associated with and after retrying more after that it worked.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll try that and see what I can do.

swwifty

Well I tried changing the com ports around with no luck. I figure at this point I'm going to have to disassembly the radio to put it in the mode to force a firmware onto it. The service manual describes a way to do this, but it doesn't look trivial.

swwifty

I'm following up on this.

I ended up sending this radio back to my dealer. They thought they might have to ship it to Kenwood, but ended up fixing it onsite instead. Here's what they found:

You must have the Kenwood factory KPG-22U cable, with the latest drivers. Using the firmware tool, make sure the speed is set to normal, then you load an older firmware. After that you load the newer firmware. It was a pain in butt to get it to work, but it did.

dryfb

I was able to upload the firmware with a BlueMax49ers cable, and I didn't load any older firmware first.
I'm following up on this.

I ended up sending this radio back to my dealer. They thought they might have to ship it to Kenwood, but ended up fixing it onsite instead. Here's what they found:

You must have the Kenwood factory KPG-22U cable, with the latest drivers. Using the firmware tool, make sure the speed is set to normal, then you load an older firmware. After that you load the newer firmware. It was a pain in butt to get it to work, but it did.