• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-1000 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkhudairi

In the Kenwood catalog, there are versions of the NX-1000 series, one under business radios designated as NX-P1000 (ProTalk), and one under land mobile radios designated as NX-1000 (no P in the model name). I’m wondering what the differences between these models are, if any.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Protalk radios are "pre-programmed" with the common business itinerant frequencies. Using some variations of keypresses, you select which of the pre-programmed frequencies go into which channel slots.

Good for a retail store that just needs a frequency or two set up and doesn't want to buy the programming software and cable.
Not good if you have frequencies that are not the common itinerants, need a bunch of channels set up, or complex programming.

Unless you are buying this radio for analog use on one of the itinerant channels, you really want the non-P versions.

The firmware in the P models is different than that in the non-P models, so it's not interchangeable.

kkhudairi

Protalk radios are "pre-programmed" with the common business itinerant frequencies. Using some variations of keypresses, you select which of the pre-programmed frequencies go into which channel slots.

Good for a retail store that just needs a frequency or two set up and doesn't want to buy the programming software and cable.
Not good if you have frequencies that are not the common itinerants, need a bunch of channels set up, or complex programming.

Unless you are buying this radio for analog use on one of the itinerant channels, you really want the non-P versions.

The firmware in the P models is different than that in the non-P models, so it's not interchangeable.

I’m looking to get the NX-1200AVK for use as a first responder. I’d much prefer to have a clean version I can program myself with my organizations frequencies. However, it seems impossible to actually find the non-P models anywhere, and even more difficult to find the software for it. Any suggestions?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’m looking to get the NX-1200AVK for use as a first responder. I’d much prefer to have a clean version I can program myself with my organizations frequencies. However, it seems impossible to actually find the non-P models anywhere, and even more difficult to find the software for it. Any suggestions?

You would need to go through a dealer. The ProTalk models are often sold on the internet, but the non-protalk radios go through dealers.
Same with the software. The newer Kenwood software licensing scheme is a challenge, it's not as simple as just downloading software. You have to have an activation key that's specific to you and assigned to your computer. That needs to go through a dealer. The old days of downloading software from secret places on the internet is gone.

@kd4efm is a member on here, and he works for a large Kenwood dealer. He may be a good place to start.

Also, I'll add this….
The NX-1000 models are not really intended for first responder use. Sure, they'll work, but not really designed for it. If you plan on using a remote speaker mic, you may want to look at the NX-3200 line of radios. Specifically the one with the 14 pin side connector. The 14 pin side connectors are intended for public safety use where accessories are heavily used. The radio will cost a bit more, but it may pay off in the long run.
I'm running a bunch of them for various users and have been quite happy with both the NX-3300 UHF model and the NX-3400 800/900MHz model.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
the NX-1200AVK is the VHF Analog radio.
very low tier and yet a nice radio to start off with. You can add 1 digital mode to it down the road. NXDN, or DMR.
KPG-D6NK is the normal software for the entire series of NX-1000 Radios. There is wide band software for this also, with proper licenses that is.
(Ham or FCC License with approved wide band status)

As MMcK stated, it's a general use radio meant for the not so rough environments of work (mall, hotels, camp grounds or other lite business needs.

I would offer you to look at the NX-5000 line only because, first responders would tap into any two of the 3 digital modes for use.
P25, DMR, NXDN. Yes, costs more, but you don't have to purchase the options at time of ordering. You build it as you go, and grow.

The NX-3000, as MMcK mentioned, is also useful, but minus P25. NXDN and DMR but only 1 digital mode when used. Can be switched
back and forth with programming (codeplug) but is a very useful radio in the mid-tier category,.

Keep asking, those are good questions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good advice.

If there is ever any chance for your agency, or even an agency you do mutual aid with, going to P25, a stripped down NX-5000 would be the way to go. Add P25 later, it's just a license key update to the radio to activate it.

If analog is all you are ever going to need, the NX-3000 would be an option.

K4NNW

I would offer you to look at the NX-5000 line only because, first responders would tap into any two of the 3 digital modes for use.
P25, DMR, NXDN. Yes, costs more, but you don't have to purchase the options at time of ordering. You build it as you go, and grow.

The NX-3000, as MMcK mentioned, is also useful, but minus P25. NXDN and DMR but only 1 digital mode when used. Can be switched
back and forth with programming (codeplug) but is a very useful radio in the mid-tier category,.

Keep asking, those are good questions.

So it's an option one can purchase when programming the radio with digital data? And is that purchase tied to the radio or to the particular instance of the software being used to program the radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So it's an option one can purchase when programming the radio with digital data? And is that purchase tied to the radio or to the particular instance of the software being used to program the radio?

Depends on the radio.

NX-1000 can be purchased as:
-analog only.
-analog and DMR
-analog and NXDN

The NX-1000 series radios are all the same, it's just which digital mode is active. If you have an analog only or analog + DMR radio, you can purchase the NXDN option. Same with analog only or analog + NXDN radio. You can purchase the DMR option. You can only run analog + one digital mode at a time.

The NX-3000 come standard with analog, NXDN and DMR. Which digital mode it uses depends on how you program it. It will only do one digital mode at a time, but both digital modes are available in the radio.

The NX-5000 comes standard with analog + NXDN. You can purchase DMR and/or P25 options for the radio. You can only have two digital modes active in the radio at any time + analog.

The software for the radios will handle all the radio is capable of. No changes to the software for the radio no matter what you are running.

K4NNW

Depends on the radio.

NX-1000 can be purchased as:
-analog only.
-analog and DMR
-analog and NXDN

The NX-1000 series radios are all the same, it's just which digital mode is active. If you have an analog only or analog + DMR radio, you can purchase the NXDN option. Same with analog only or analog + NXDN radio. You can purchase the DMR option. You can only run analog + one digital mode at a time.

The NX-3000 come standard with analog, NXDN and DMR. Which digital mode it uses depends on how you program it. It will only do one digital mode at a time, but both digital modes are available in the radio.

The NX-5000 comes standard with analog + NXDN. You can purchase DMR and/or P25 options for the radio. You can only have two digital modes active in the radio at any time + analog.

The software for the radios will handle all the radio is capable of. No changes to the software for the radio no matter what you are running.

Thank you for the clarification. I've been pondering either an NX-3300 or NX-5300 for UHF DMR on the DMRVA network and for RX only on a DMR system where I work (they're currently testing it, but are operating mostly analog right now).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for the clarification. I've been pondering either an NX-3300 or NX-5300 for UHF DMR on the DMRVA network and for RX only on a DMR system where I work (they're currently testing it, but are operating mostly analog right now).

NX-5000 series are nice radios. A lot of good features.

NX-3000 is a great option if you don't need P25 capability. I've been using an NX-3400 and 3300's at work for about 2 years now. Been solid radios with a lot of great features.

If you don't need NXDN, then the NX-1300 would be a less expensive option. Just get the Analog/DMR version, it'll save you some money.

Just make sure you price out the software before purchasing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KPG-D6NK for the NX-1000 series lists for $104.00.

Much less than Motorola software.
Kenwood cracked down on people bootlegging their software, so now it requires an authentication procedure. It's not like the older software that you could download off some Russian site.

Status
Not open for further replies.