• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-1300 question

Do I have to purchase an actual Kenwood (or knock off) 2 pin programming cable or will the one that I have for my Anytone work? I’m looking to program an NX-1300.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is no standard on the pin assignment. Some aftermarket cables may work, some may not. You do need to have one that is specifically designed for the Kenwood radios.

It is the same Kenwood programming cable pinout they've been using on their radios for a long time, however. Nothing new with the NX-1K series.

If I buy a brand new Kenwood NX-1300 that will do both Analog & DMR (NX-1300 DU) I know I will have to purchase the software and cable. Will I need to purchase a license key from Kenwood to activate the radio? $100? Mmckenna

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I buy a brand new Kenwood NX-1300 that will do both Analog & DMR (NX-1300 DU) I know I will have to purchase the software and cable. Will I need to purchase a license key from Kenwood to activate the radio? $100? Mmckenna

If you order the NX-1300DUK* version, it will come with analog and DMR included.

The only additional license costs would be if you wanted to add:
NXDN conversion license (replaces DMR with NXDN) KWD-1201CD
DMR ARC4 Enhanced Encryption KWD-1500EE
Remote Control Command by subscriber units KWD-1501RC

You will need to purchase KPG-D6NK programming software. That will include the KPT-300 license management software.

Be aware, if you are going to use this for amateur radio or GMRS, you will need to procure a wideband license to open up wide band capability. This radio will NOT support wide band FM on UHF. It will only do narrow band FM and DMR (or NXDN)

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
How much for a wideband license?
List is about $200, and you have to show a valid reason you can legally use wideband. One good place is to PM @kd4efm, my local shop wouldn't sell the software at all (they sold me hardware), but Evans has been extremely helpful with software & entitlements.

dryfb

For cables buy a bluemax49ers kpg22, they're good cables and he honors his warranty. I use one with my nx1300nuk2

kc8ldo

Premium Subscriber
This is an old thread but seems to be along the lines I'm interested in.

I have a NX-1300DUK5 radio, factory enabled DMR, and a NX-1300AUK5 converted to DMR with the KWD-1300-CAK feature license. I want to "ADD" NXDN to both radios, NOT permanently replace DMR. I understand I need to load the correct firmware for each mode, which I have and only one can be loaded into the radio at a time, and the mode specific code plug.

The goal is to allow the ability to switch modes by loading the mode specific firmware and the mode specific code plug at will. The question is this possible?

If so what specific feature license keys do I need? There appear to be two. As noted above one radio started out as digital from the factory while the other one was analog and field converted to digital if this makes a difference.

KWD-1200CAK
License Key for NXDN Conventional Upgrade

KWD-1201CD
License Key for NXDN Conventional Conversion

I have the two versions of the firmware, NXDN and DMR, the radio programming software and the KPT-300LMC I used to load the analog to DMR feature license key along with the enhanced encryption feature license key on the radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The CAK license if for adding digital to an analog only radio.
The CD license is for switching a digital radio to the other mode.

My understanding is that once you add the CAK license, your radio is now digital. Switching back and forth with the -CD would be what you want.

kc8ldo

Premium Subscriber
The CAK license if for adding digital to an analog only radio.
The CD license is for switching a digital radio to the other mode.

My understanding is that once you add the CAK license, your radio is now digital. Switching back and forth with the -CD would be what you want.
So all I need to do is add the KWD-1201CD feature license to each radio and I'm good to go. That allows me to switch between DMR and NXDN by loading the appropriate firmware and code plug.

kc8ldo

Premium Subscriber
Never tried it myself. Let me know how it works out for you.
I'm requesting some quotes for the NXDN conversion feature, the NXDN trunking (don't need it but it's super cheap to get) and the remote control feature. This would be for three radios. I just sent an email to Evans for a quote.

All three are DMR enabled with the 40 bit enhanced encryption feature for DMR. Adding in the rest of the above would load all the available options for the NX-1300's that are possible.

kc8ldo

Premium Subscriber
This is in the 2024 catalog.

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13