• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 dual-mode P25/NXDN radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
drool....I'm just hoping they can do multiple P25 trunked systems. My 5820 only does one.

Last edited by a moderator:

baycomm

Getting closer. Two pieces of NX-5000 related software showed up on the Kenwood dealer website late this evening.
Also, the radio will do multiple NXDN systems so a fair assumption would be that it can also handle multiple P25 systems.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yup right there with you Mark! It needs to be an option. I can see for LE having a physical stop may be important but for fire we need to be able to expand out past 16 channels per zone using the knob not the keypad just like the 2180 radio.

The portable does have a removable stop to allow more than 16 channels per zone.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Here are LIST prices:

Portables: UHF & VHF(VHF will be released in Dec.)
Standard key pad: $825.00
Full Key pad $875.00
Plus battery, antenna, charger & any upgrades that you may want.

Mobiles: $980.00 plus software upgrades if desired.

I don't yet have the 700/800 Mhz prices.

Considering the options/features, I would have expected to be around $1,500 range for portables...very attractive pricing.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I would love to see/hear a review once someone finally gets their hands on one.
I may wait a bit, but am definitely going to pony up :)

tkj1973

Right. Conventional P25 will be included.
Phase 1 Trunking is optional
Phase 2 Trunking is optional.
P25 OTAR, P25 conventional voting scan and P25 packet data are all options, also.

The prices assumption above is pretty dang close.

Other individual licenses:
4000 Channel/Group ID expansion
FPP option
MicroSD slot activation
Bluetooth serial port "profile"
Type C NXDN trunking (Icom standard)

Where did you get your information about the NX5000 series coming standard with P25 Conventional. The info I got says that P25 conventional is not standard and is an option.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
P25 Conventional

Where did you get your information about the NX5000 series coming standard with P25 Conventional. The info I got says that P25 conventional is not standard and is an option.

I was corrected on this also, the radio is LOADED to the gills. You have to purchase activation codes
to enable the certain functions.

As for a previous comment NXDN Type C trunking (Icom Standard), umm no, that's Kenwoods Standard.
Icom uses TYPE D (which is like analog LTR trunking but digital)

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Radios being delivered

I would love to see/hear a review once someone finally gets their hands on one.
I may wait a bit, but am definitely going to pony up :)

I will have the Portable and Mobile in my hands December 3rd.
I just spent money on the FPP and P25Conv add-ons. Pretty sure I will
get the VHF mobile and the control kit for dual rf deck and Single Head ops.

I will have my review on our ham radio NXDN site nxdninfo.com. Already posted photos
of the License Management Client and the software (which has a Motorola CPS / MotoTRBO flare to it)
(photos in my blog)

Pretty nice, but not your normal style of KPG software, just saying.

radiomanNJ1

Sounds like they are practically giving them away!

BTW all of you enthusiasts what are you going to do about all the encryption?
Of course programming software and system keys and what about having your radio shut down by a system admin? Nothing like a bricked radio.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm in an area where the neighboring county is starting to use NXDN "conventional" on VHF, but the province is using/going to use P25 conventional and trunking on VHF and 700. So I'm following this kind of closely.

I just wish a true dual-band solution was available too.. that and having 800 MHz Mot 3600 trunking as well, but while I'm dreaming I might as well ask for the moon and stars too... :D

radiomanNJ1

And now another flavor of amateur radio? Analog (wide & narrow), P25, MotoTrbo, Hytera flavor of DMR, Nxdn, I wonder when the MPT1327 and the TETRA systems will be up and running?

Makes great sense if you are traveling or coming into an area in an emergency situation.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
And now another flavor of amateur radio? Analog (wide & narrow), P25, MotoTrbo, Hytera flavor of DMR, Nxdn, I wonder when the MPT1327 and the TETRA systems will be up and running?

Makes great sense if you are traveling or coming into an area in an emergency situation.

This isn't being marketed as amateur as far as I know, but that's never stopped anyone. The latest thing to hit the amateur scene is "Yaesu System Fusion", another digital mode incompatible with everything else, which does tie in with your last comment up there.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
This is really cool

The startup screen can be really customized now!

Attachments

• opt_feature_1.JPG
    opt_feature_1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,610

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As for a previous comment NXDN Type C trunking (Icom Standard), umm no, that's Kenwoods Standard.
Icom uses TYPE D (which is like analog LTR trunking but digital)

Yep, my mistake. I haven't seen anything that says these will do Type D, only Type C is available at this time. Wouldn't be surprised to see that change.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
or better yet, your passport photo?? Cant say you own that radio when the face does not match when you
turn it on and that comes up.....

I do like this TRUE COLOR deal. Already working on doing a company logo and a ham call screen.
The only one that would be text only in color is the mobile.
I will post a photo of that one in a few, I am still doing my portable file, adding the local P25 / Ham / Ham NXDN / and two NXDN trunk systems here in Florida.

EFM

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
NX-5000 Bitmap file information

In Bitmap File, a file name can be selected in the bitmap format which appears on the transceiver LCD for 2 sec when the transceiver is turned ON.

Range:
File name with a maximum of 20 alphanumeric characters having the extension of ".bmp".

Default:
Blank

Note:
*A monochrome image with a maximum of 180 pixels (height) x 240 pixels (width) (NX-5300/ NX-5400) or 154 pixels (height) x 422 pixels (width) (NX-5800) can be preconfigured for the transceiver.

*The selected image will be stored with the KPG-D1 data file.

*Unchecking Custom Start-up Screen disables Bitmap File.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
In Bitmap File, a file name can be selected in the bitmap format which appears on the transceiver LCD for 2 sec when the transceiver is turned ON.

Range:
File name with a maximum of 20 alphanumeric characters having the extension of ".bmp".

Default:
Blank

Note:
*A monochrome image with a maximum of 180 pixels (height) x 240 pixels (width) (NX-5300/ NX-5400) or 154 pixels (height) x 422 pixels (width) (NX-5800) can be preconfigured for the transceiver.

*The selected image will be stored with the KPG-D1 data file.

*Unchecking Custom Start-up Screen disables Bitmap File.

Here I took the stock file and just added to it.

Attachments

• KD4EFM_PORT.bmp
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,351
  • kd4efm_mobile.bmp
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,400
Status
Not open for further replies.