• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 dual-mode P25/NXDN radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
It's probably not as nice looking, but other than possible lack of nexedge trunking Connect Systems is coming out with a multi protocol SDR (CS-7000) that should be interesting. Both Kenwood and Connect Systems are ahead of Moto.

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
AES via optional board... In the era of DSP! A little but strange.

Also we need DMR! Paid option? Ok!

And SD card for audio recording too!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
NX-5300-K2 and GMRS

K44431500 NX-5300 UHF Portable = 450 - 512MHz. 5 watts. Part 90 certification. Interesting that it has a 16K emission designation for 470-512 for the T-Band stuff.

K44431501 NX-5300 UHF Portable = 406.1 - 470MHz. 5 watts. Part 90 certification. No Part 95, so no GMRS, legally…

GMRS Leagally? Show me where I have to operate GMRS wide band? I have my NX-300/800 in NB and
still work the GMRS NBFM. Audio is slightly lower, so what, you can still use NBFM on a Wide FM repeater.

Okay with that done,
as mentioned in previous posts, the P25 TRUNKING 1 and 2 are in deed software key (sentinal key) controlled. P25 Conventional comes already. Pricing is in the same area as the TK-5720/5820. Not surprised at that, but still, this radio is kicking butt and taking names and it has not hit the streets yet.
(from what I understand, first shipment has arrived in L.A. and is at Customs, not sure what platform, but
they are waiting FCC approval. That is all I was told)

I cant wait for it my self, like most of you all, but I will be getting them here in Florida when made available to order and play with it on the NXDN Ham Network.

Evans
KD4EFM

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
GMRS Leagally? Show me where I have to operate GMRS wide band? I have my NX-300/800 in NB and
still work the GMRS NBFM. Audio is slightly lower, so what, you can still use NBFM on a Wide FM repeater.

I concur. I was pointing out that if you run the FCC ID for that radio, it only comes up with a Part 90 certification, NOT a part 95. We all know that many GMRS users are running non-Part 95 certified radios.

they are waiting FCC approval. That is all I was told

Evans
KD4EFM

The 700/800MHz version and the two UHF versions already have their FCC approval. Use the FCC ID's shown above and run them on the OET site. They'll pop up, that's where I got that info from. What I didn't see the other day was the VHF version or the mobiles.

wireless_friendly

Banned
The sale of AES encryption is restricted by the government.
Including it in the radios would be a logistical nightmare.
It should be optional, but software based (not hardware-based). Purchase it and activate. Or purchase & reflash. So no any problems with import/export. Also AES-256 is publically available in some European countries for e.g. for MotoTRBO.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
First hand from the recent road show:
Dual transceiver mobile kit for multi-band operation. Optional larger display control head with knobs.

So, from what I'm gathering, that means you can't have a dual band portable?

Motorola has neither a radio that can match this nor one as nice looking.

I think it looks very sleek and professional. Definitely liking the new screen for sure.

Woo!

wireless_friendly

Banned
Accordingly to FCC numbers all 5000 series portables are monoband only. So it's not bad idea to buy all-band Thales Liberty for $2150 (limited offer from Mfg.).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NX-5200 = VHF Portable
NX-5300 = UHF Portable
NX-5400 = 700/800MHz portable

Built in GPS.
IP 67/68
Built in Man Down sensor.
1 Watt audio out.
There is 2 models of each radio, full key pad and limited key pad

Pricing is very attractive. Very close to the NX-x00, NX-x10 models. Maybe a bit more, but not by much.

P25 Trunking, OTAR, voting scan and packet data are licensed features (optional)
4000 Channel option (!)
Front Panel Programming option
Smart Charger (a-la Impress) with battery readers and software.

Audio accessories are compatible with the standard Kenwood multipin connectors (KMC-41, 42)
Hirose adapter option for audio/KVL

AES FIPS140-2 module (multi-key)
AES and DES module (multi-key)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Got to see some documents today on these radios. Very impressive.
Saw photos of the mobiles, 2 different control heads available, and dual or tri band set ups. Like the TK-5210 type radios, it isn't a single radio with all the bands in it, it's stacked RF decks interconnected to one or two control heads.

Look for the VHF models to get their type acceptance next month.

Our Kenwood rep is going to get a 700/800MHz version for us to try out. Looking forward to it.

SAFFA

I've heard a rumour that in the EMEA region kenwood will be depoloying this radio with DMR instead of P25 as we don't use P25 in this part of the world. As I said its a rumour...

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
DMR version??

I've heard a rumour that in the EMEA region kenwood will be depoloying this radio with DMR instead of P25 as we don't use P25 in this part of the world. As I said its a rumour...

REALLY NOW....... that would make a wet dream for any ham.

Keep us posted and what you can dig up on this verbage.

EFM

Status
Not open for further replies.