• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 dual-mode P25/NXDN radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Didn't realize that P25 was an add on option. I thought this radio was designed to be dual protocol from the start

Last edited:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
From a previous post (maybe it's just the trunking feature that's optional):

******P25 Trunking, OTAR, voting scan and packet data are licensed features (optional)******

4000 Channel option (!)
Front Panel Programming option
Smart Charger (a-la Impress) with battery readers and software.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Right. Conventional P25 will be included.
Phase 1 Trunking is optional
Phase 2 Trunking is optional.
P25 OTAR, P25 conventional voting scan and P25 packet data are all options, also.

The prices assumption above is pretty dang close.

Other individual licenses:
4000 Channel/Group ID expansion
FPP option
MicroSD slot activation
Bluetooth serial port "profile"
Type C NXDN trunking (Icom standard)

Stephen

I was at a conference yesterday with a regional manager for JVC Kenwood, and was given some information on this model.

Release for various models are going to be between November - December 14, it was originally expected to be August time frame, though certain "technical" issues had to be resolved is how he put it.

The radios are expected to cost more than TRBO radios but less than most P25 radios. A new feature I learned about yesterday is that these radios can be made into a Tri-band radio, as in up to three of the transmitter/receiver decks can be attached to one control head so there for making the radio up to a three band radio. This is a new feature, that I don't think has been talked about much or I just have missed the release.

Another tid bit of information that the rep stated I found interesting that did not sit well with the end users in the meeting was that software from Kenwood would be more secure, must be purchased, and they are going to attempt to make sure any software from Kenwood is not available on E-bay... They seem to be following suit with Motorola, there were some other good information on how Kenwood and EF Johnson since they are two sub components of JVC Kenwood are going to be work together on different communications paths i.e. Business, Public Safety, Military and other customers.

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I want to see street pricing on these, please:

- 4000 Channel/Group ID expansion
- FPP option
- MicroSD slot activation
- Type C NXDN trunking (Icom standard)
- P25 P1 trunking
- P25 P2 trunking
- KWD-AE30/31

Last edited:

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
eba2e4ud.jpg

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Another tid bit of information that the rep stated I found interesting that did not sit well with the end users in the meeting was that software from Kenwood would be more secure, must be purchased, and they are going to attempt to make sure any software from Kenwood is not available on E-bay...

I am okay with that, as long as they don't charge as much as Moto does for their CPS.....Ridiculous!

Any word on pricing for the mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.