• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5000 dual-mode P25/NXDN radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I want to see street pricing on these, please:

- 4000 Channel/Group ID expansion
- FPP option
- MicroSD slot activation
- Type C NXDN trunking (Icom standard)
- P25 P1 trunking
- P25 P2 trunking
- KWD-

standard P25 conventional, NXDN conventional, and NXDN Type D is standard. Already got the scoop on what's going to be add ons.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
NXDN is available on the 700/800MHz hand held. It is set up so that NXDN will only work on the 800MHz frequencies, though.

Odd. The brochure shows no sensitivity rating for the 5400 with NXDN, leading me to believe there is no NXDN available.

Why would they restrict the use on 700MHz?

Sent via Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Odd. The brochure shows no sensitivity rating for the 5400 with NXDN, leading me to believe there is no NXDN available.

Why would they restrict the use on 700MHz?

Sent via Tapatalk

Currently Kenwood does not have equipment for the 700MHz band in NXDN. Only 800/900MHz.
It could come about in the near future, but at this time, they are not deploying 700MHz NXDN.

Just like 220MHz, the US is the only place where 700MHZ is used for Two-Way.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
The Province of Nova Scotia just commissioned a province wide 86 tower P25 Trunked Radio system in the 700 mhz band.

The Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver 2 years ago also used a 700 mhz Trunked system for the 2 week event.

700mhz is alive and well in Canada.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The Province of Nova Scotia just commissioned a province wide 86 tower P25 Trunked Radio system in the 700 mhz band.

The Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver 2 years ago also used a 700 mhz Trunked system for the 2 week event.

700mhz is alive and well in Canada.

And Alberta is building out a mixed 700MHz/VHF system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I have to say; I am pumped about these radios. I am already starting to liquidate my ham gear as well as some commercial stuff.
Anyone seen a sneak peak of the "featured" mobile control head (KCH-20)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, but I don't have a copy. I was handed a laptop with all the documentation on it for the portables and the mobiles, including photos, prices, etc. I was allowed to look at it all, but not make any copies. The control heads for these mobiles looked pretty good, and I was happy with the pricing, considering all these radios will do. Hopefully we'll see more info from Kenwood when these are released.

Our Kenwood rep has put an NX-5400 on order for a trial for us, no word on when it will arrive.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
So I have heard yes and I've heard no...can anyone confirm that the portables will be dual-mode AND dual-band (VHF + UHF) by chance, even as an option? (At least as an option) or will they be single band only? If so, I will put a down payment on one ASAP...if not, I'd say they will lose a lot of business to the Motorola APX series.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, these are -single- band portables. As for modes, they will do NXDN, P25 (1&2) and Analog.

Mobiles can have their RF decks stacked for up to three bands.

Kenwood bought EF Johnson to fill the role of multiband portables.

I have been told that -eventually- Kenwood will likely produce a multiband portable. However, at this time there is NOT a Kenwood branded multi band LMR portable.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
This scares me a little

I really hope they didn't decide to put a stop in the channel knob..........

Attachments

• NX.JPG
    NX.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,343

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I see what you are saying, but with the TK-2180, for example, you can tell exactly what channel you are on, and where I work, we have at least 20 channels per group. You roll the knob to channel 20 and the radio will bonk at you every time you continue to turn the knob in that direction. Pretty easy to tell when you are at the end without a physical stop in place. You don't need to put all 4000 channels in one group, but at least you don't have to use the keypad to get past channel 16.

ajohansson

Yup right there with you Mark! It needs to be an option. I can see for LE having a physical stop may be important but for fire we need to be able to expand out past 16 channels per zone using the knob not the keypad just like the 2180 radio.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If it's like earlier NX portables, the stop is removable once you figure out how to pop the knob off.
Also in programming change from 16 channel to continuous rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.